Not Human (Darian)

The gun, which had glowed in Jersey's hand instantly faded in mine. The words "Not Human" appeared on the handle of the gun and it then exploded without warning, burning my hand down to the bone and the flesh along my arm. It was a searing, white-hot burn which made my eyes water and my hair stand on end, but I deserved it. I needed the pain because I had lost my Lisa. I had lost her to this kind of pain. She was killed because of the monster I let her love, because I wasn't smart enough to stay away and keep her safe, because I didn't see the signs of just how far her mother was willing to take her disgust for me. I let the burn fester into in the still hot ashes, making it worse than before. I sat in the dark accepting the ache and letting it tear me apart. I let the loss of her life wash over my like a tidal wave, icy cold compared to the stinging in my arm. I was suffocating under the pain without her and I would do it gladly, because without her there was nothing left. It's amazing what humans can do, they can see color, they can love deeply, and humans can betray. Humans as it turns out, are best at letting hatred and fear lead their lives, and maybe that's why I loved Lisa so much, she could never hate anything or anyone and she defied her fears. She was stronger than I was in her own ways, she was the end to my misery and somehow I became more miserable than I ever was before.

      "I will find you all, and you will feel this misery."  I rasped into the night before disappearing into the water.