Chapter 67: Finding Out

I searched the citadel to find Phoenix. Ariadne was in the training room, and I knew better than to bother her when she was. There she was, hovered over Max's car and doing some repairs. Max was sitting on a chair, wishing her, giving her tips, teasing her I chuckled to myself.

"Phoenix?" I called, she looked up, but then flashed me a smile. "Can I talk to you?" She nodded, now looking concerned as she met me out in the hallway. Her face was blank, and she stood in front of me her hands on her hips. "This is about Ariadne isn't it?" She asked, her voice soft so no one could hear. I had no idea how she knew... But maybe it was because even she noticed Ariadne was off.

"what... What is it? I mean I'm so scared I'm going to loser her I just want to help, Phoenix I just want to make her stop hurting." Phoenix looked around carefully first, then coming a little closer, her voice very low now.

"What you need to understand about that is, if I tell you why she's going through this you cannot tell her." I cocked my head to the side "at all, Furiosa she will break." I hesitated, but nodded, maybe if I knew I could understand how to act towards her. "She doesn't remember it, not at all, I spend weeks, months, shoving it into the subconscious of her mind, because she was suffering, she couldn't function." She took in a deep breath. "It was the day I met her..."

---

"Phoenix!" Scrotus summoned his prized Imperator, his arms open as she approached him, she trusted him then, she did whatever it was he told her too, after all, he did save her life. "I need you to check on the prisoners" he spoke, running his hand gently down her black hair. She nodded.

She made her way down the then cellar, prisoners would scream and yell at her, some begging to be let out, some begging for death and others telling her she was a heartless monster. She checked the cells one by one. But one prisoner stuck in her mind, Ariadne.

She was Imprisoned for no reason, no reason at all, but no matter how hard Phoenix tried she could not get her out. She walked carefully over to her cell, bringing some books with her, Ariadne loved books, and over time they had developed a friendship. Halfway there she could hear her screaming, telling somebody to stop, begging somebody to stop, there was a loud smacking noise and Phoenix ran to the cell.

The war boys, they were hyped on whatever drugs they could find, tormenting Ariadne, trying to take advantage of her, and from the looks of it they already had. Phoenix slammed the cell door open, expertly fighting off the war boys one by one. By the end of it, they were all gone or knocked out, but she had a pretty nasty cut on her mouth from one of their knives. Phoenix walked to Ariadne, grabbing her and holding her in her arms. "Shhh" she breathed, trying her best to calm her down "I won't let them hurt you, I won't let anyone hurt you ever again" she brought Ariadne out of the cell with her, and up to her room. But it wasn't long until Scrotus heard about it.

He sentenced Ariadne to death but Phoenix begged and pleaded with Scrotus to spare her, saying that she would turn her into an imperator, and they could do ten times more together than she could alone. She was lucky Scrotus loved her so, and that he was in a good mood, he spared Ariadne, and it was then that Phoenix promised herself that she would never let anyone lay a hand on her again.

---

I stood in shock I had no idea anything like that happened... I felt stupid, idiotic, why didn't I just accept that she wasn't ready to talk? I wouldn't be either.

"Please, Furiosa" Phoenix spoke, very sternly, taking me away from my thoughts "do not bring it up to her, I don't know if she's ready to face that.." I nodded. Watching Phoenix dissapear back into the garage. I leaned back on the wall, sliding down it until I sat on the floor. I couldn't say anything, I couldn't think anything. I rested my head on my knees.