.9

Pamela opened her eyes, but closed them immediately because something bright was shining on them. Moving out of the sunlight, she looked around. She was in a room, but it wasn't hers. Then she remembered the previous night, and she found herself smiling.

She stepped out of his bed and tiptoed down the stairs. She found the boy with the cute lip piercing sleeping on the couch with his arms and legs sprawled out. Pamela actually giggled at his appearance. This was the same boy who she couldn't get enough of. He was so adorable sleeping.

Walking closer, she picked up a pillow. After checking to see if he was still sleeping, she drew the pillow back and hit him with it. Instead of jumping up like she thought he would, he rolled over to his side and let out a groan. Pamela giggled again.

"Lucas, it's time to wake up." She said softly in his ear. A small smile formed on his face, and before she knew it he had wrapped his arms around her. He used his position to pull her onto the couch. Then he was tickling her as she laughed uncontrollably. "Luke-"She let out a laugh,"Stop! Stop!"

Luke finally stopped, resting his hands by his sides. Catching her breath, she looked over at the boy who was smirking at her. "My name isn't Lucas." She rolled her eyes, smiling, at him.

"Is anyone home?" She asked because she felt bad for being so loud. Luke shook his head, looking away from her. "Where are your parents?"

"My mom is on a business trip, and my dad... I don't know where he is." Luke said with a guarded voice. Pamela watched as his face turned serious and his eyes reflected sadness.

"At the beginning of the school year, you told me that your dad was a story for another time." Pamela recalled, remembering the first time they hung out at the music store. "Could you tell me the story?"

"Okay, that's fair enough. When I was eight my family and I were eating dinner. My parents had fought countless times, but it was usually behind closed doors. They started arguing in front of us. My mother blamed him for loving someone else, and he denied it many times but this time he admitted that he didn't love my mother anymore because of someone else. The rest happened so fast. My mother was in hysterics as my dad shouted different versions of 'it wasn't my fault' at her. Then he looked at my brothers and I in the eyes before leaving the table. A few minutes later, I heard the door slam over my mother's sobbing. I got up from the table and ran outside. He was just getting into his car when I yelled to him, begging him not to go." Luke's hands were in tight fists that he held at his sides. "He looked at me with this anger that I could never forget. My dad got in his car and pulled away while I screamed and cried for him to come back. That was the last day I ever saw him."

Pamela was quiet. She has had her demons, but hearing Luke's was almost more painful. A loud grumble filled the room, and Pamela wanted to face palm herself for the ugly noise that came from her stomach.

"I think we should eat some breakfast." Luke said, smiling a fake smile at the embarrassed girl next to him. He got up and left the room, so she trailed behind him. He started getting out different kinds of ingredients.

"I'm sorry for ruining the moment." She apologized, but he waved her off.  "What are we making?" Pamela asked as she leaned against the counter.

"Pancakes."Luke said. He took out a binder from a cabinet and a paper flew out of it. Pamela picked it up and saw that it was the pancake recipe. He took it from her and read over it. "Okay nine cups of flour."

And so they went back and forth putting different things into a giant bowl. When the pancake batter was ready to be cooked, Pamela put her finger in it and licked it.

"I swear the batter is better than the actual thing." She said as Luke handed her a spatula. He scooped some of the batter onto the griddle and they waited as the few pancakes cooked. When she reached her finger in to eat more batter, he grabbed it.