Chapter 8

Dani's POV:

I knew him. I knew that boy. I mean, I know who he is, but not entirely. His name was Jace. He's the quarterback on the football team. But the feeling sunk in my chest, so deeply it seemed to be embedded there, right in my eyelids.

“Dani? Are you okay?” Megan asked me, waving the folders in front of my face.

“Huh? Yeah, let's open these things and find out what we did.” I said, taking my folder from Megan and opening my folder. We all opened them. I started reading through the whole folder. Everything in this folder I knew about. It started from when I was in kindergarten to now. The most recent file was from when I had the flu. That was only a week ago.

“Did you guys find anything?” I asked them, flipping through my folder one last time.

“No.” They both said at the same time throwing their folders on the desk in front of them.

“Then why do they want us to take that test?” Jane asked. Megan shrugged and I picked the folders back up and shoved them into my bag. I'm going to go put these back. I'll be back soon.” I said.

“Don't you think it's not safe to go alone?” Megan asked me, standing up, preparing to go with me.

“Please, 'not safe'. I've done too many things at this school without getting caught. I think I can manage putting a few folders back.” I said, skipping out of the room. Jane and Megan didn't bother following.