9 // fifteen

Matt wasn't Near or Mello, but he wasn't stupid. He knew Mello's intents upon associating with the Mafia. That was just the problem; he knew the blonde boy too much. To Matt he was transparent and comprehendible. His complexity just so simple. Matt had watched Mello fade just a bit each day since L died. They were rapidly appearing holes in Mello that Matt couldn't sew fast enough. To other's, Mello was like a jigsaw puzzle. But the last and vital piece was always missing, under the couch. Even Kira couldn't figure Mello out. Nor could Near. And Mello - the blonde boy himself - hardly knew exactly of the exactitude and depth that Matt knew.

Matt knew Mello liked having secrets; and Matt knew that's what he hated so ferociously about intimacy. Because when you are exposed you are vulnerable. And there are patterns in Mello's breathing that told Matt the secrets. He couldn't pretend he didn't know them. They we're like cracks on Mello's soul; they were going to destroy them. But, yet, Mello doesn't really care much for souls, anyways. Not these days.

It's Sunday and he's off to Church. Six am. Mello has got to be the best-worst Catholic ever. But whenever Matt attempts to comprehend this tendency of worship, he is simply shunned. Uninvited to God's club. Matt can understand the comfort in believing in something bigger than yourself; in the idea that God has a plan for everyone, that there is somewhere you go after death; that everything was going to be alright. But Mello, however, knew very well of this concept. He was enlightened and aware of his own human nature and - just like love and lust - longing for religion was simply something humans felt. Most people, once realizing this, would abandon the practices. But Mello merely clung tighter to God's name. For some reason Matt couldn't understand, Mello believed full-heartedly in the existence of a God. Maybe Mello wasn't as transparent to Matt as he thought.

he's back. when he enters, he lies beside matt on the floor, the fabric of his jacket rustling against the itchy carpet. it's cold now, and matt can still smell the autumn breeze on mello close beside him.

He glanced left at the blonde boy, Lips moving too fast for Matt to decipher.

"Mello?" Matt said, fumbling with a Rubix cube and solving it. Re-jumble, solve, repeat for the last half-hour. Just like everything else, it was simple if you knew the cheats.

No reply.

"Mells?"

The blonde boy's eyes flickered sideways at the redhead, possessing a resenting stare.

"that's a girl's name! Don't fucking call me that!"

Matt stifled a giggle. When they were children, back at Wammy's, Matt used to torment Mello relentlessly with this blurb nickname. He even used to call him Melly The Smelly, if he really wanted to rile him up. This was until Mello started getting increasingly aggressive, and he started hitting Matt every time he used it.

"Why not, Mells?"

"My name is fucking Mello!" the shorter boy shouted. Got up and hovered over matt, very very clearly resisting the instinct to hit the redhead. Matt smiled a lopsided smirk.

"Okay, fucking Mello..."

Mello quickly grabbed a throw pillow off the couch and thrusted it forcefully at Matt.

"Just Mello!"

"Willy Wonka!" the instant the words were said, Matt skittered to his feet and ran as fast as he could.

Just like old times.

[A/N: but can we just talk about how sassy mello was in the mafia

mello: get me chocolate

mello: you are all my bitches

mello: [to the president of the united states] i'll blow up ur world if u don't give me resources u lil shit

mello: [running away from explosion] bitches can't catch me

mello: the note is under rod's body. go get it for me

mello: [people dying all around him] damn! kira got the death note! fml! ugh! i hate kira!

i think theres a secret black butler reference somewhere in there...

anyways, thanks for reading! vote/comment if you wanna, it really makes my day. hope your weekend is great!]