Too close but not close enough

Newt's POV

I could feel my cheeks turning red and I immediately took my hand away. I couldn't look him in the eye, I was too ashamed of what had just happened.

"I'm... I'm really sorry, Tommy. I have no shucking idea why I did this. I guess I was a little too excited and well,... uhmm..." I started to excuse my behaviour, but was interrupted by Thomas gently lifting my chin causing me to look at him.

"Hey, Newtie-cutie, that wasn't inappropriate or so and you don't have to worry 'bout this. I was just surprised, that's all. We haven't done that since..."

"Yeah, since then." I cut it out, not wanting to talk about this.

"Don't you think it is the right time to discuss that situation? Every time I bring that subject up you shut me down."

"I am not ready yet!" I said, maybe a little too harsh.

"But..." He tried to continue, ignoring the fact I was obviously fed up with the pressure.

"Sorry, Tommy. I just can't."

"Ogay, I get it. "I could hear a strain of disappointment in his voice, but wasn't able to do anything about it.

After a minute of silence he spoke again, this time more lively:

"Anyway, we're still best friends, aren't we? So if you want to hold my hand that's just fine."

As soon as these words came out of his mouth I felt soft fingers fondly grabbing my hand and this time I was the one who froze. I felt anxiety running through my veins, but it was soon replaced by a strong, calm feeling of Tommy's presence. It had been such a long time since I was last able to experience it. I missed it. More than anything. I didn't want to make it sound poetic and cliché, but it was like rain on the driest desert or like light in the cavernous darkness. It gave me hope.

Shuck, that was cliché, indeed.

I built up all of my courage and returned the grip, intertwining our fingers. I smiled big, mostly to myself and placed my head in the crook of his neck. It was cozily. I don't remember if I felt that way before, but it definitely was the most amazing feeling in my entire life. I breathed slowly and smelled his scent - I recognized cinnamon and his favourite green tea, not ordinary combination, but I liked it. By this time I was fully relaxed and no more afraid of our closeness.

"Thank you, Tommy. For being my friend."

"I couldn't have asked for more." He answered laying his head on mine.

I looked through the window and with heavy eyes observed the dark sky covered with beautiful shining stars. I wondered what time it was, probably 2 a.m. or so. This ride is not going to take that long, I thought to myself.

Few minutes later I was fast asleep.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Second chapter! What do you think?

SOOO EXCITED, BECAUSE YESTERDAY WAS TST PREMIERE!! Unfortunately, I have to wait 10 more days to see it :(   I can't wait that long adsfniunlkjafewuihqwnejkrerawvo

Let me know if you've already seen it and how did you like it. NO SPOILERS, PLEASE!

Stay Young and Beautiful xx