Part III: Animal

"... may become a wolf..."

Reader's POV

You, Lenalee, Allen, and Lavi -- completely unaware of what had happened to Kanda -- were shopping in town. Lenalee wanted you to come along to help her pick something out a present for Komui. Allen and Lavi were there to tote around Lenalee's shopping bags, and also to bug you like they always did. "So, (Y/n)," Allen addressed you, "Why didn't you invite Kanda to come with us?" You looked at him and gave him a small smile as you handed him another shopping bag to add to the fifteen bags he had already. "Kanda was just getting out of the hospital wing. I just figured that he needed the rest." Lavi laughed a little at you. "Looks like our little (Y/n) has a crush on Yuu." You gave him a forced smile and playfully pushed him. "Shut up, Lavi." All of you burst into laughter.

Your laughter, however, was interrupted by an echoing howl, and as soon as you heard it, your mind immediately jumped back to the mission in Romania just the week before. The lonesome howl. The sight of a massive black wolf, almost the size of a bear, with fierce gold eyes. All memories of the incident were revamped and were now accompanied by terrified screams and shattering glass. People ran past you and your friends. You turned around to see a massive black wolf, attacking small animals and livestock and breaking the windows of shops that sold any kind of meat. Its eyes soon caught you and he stalked towards you, looking at you like you were a four course meal. Its muzzle was matted with the blood of its prey.

"That thing isn't an Akuma!" Allen yelled, his left eye Akuma sensor activated along with his Innocence. Lavi activated his Innocence and his hammer extended. He stood in front of you. "Akuma or not," Lenalee said, activating her Dark Boots, "that thing is attacking the town!" You were frozen by your memories of the incident in Romania, watching your friends attack the wolf. It easily dodged all of their attacks, breaking Allen's arm in the process. Lenalee looked at you with teary eyes as she supported Allen. "(Y/n), what are you waiting for!? Activate your Innocence and attack that thing!" She screamed at you. You were awakened from your relapse of memories by the scream of Lavi as he was thrown through a shop window. The wolf then set its eyes on you once more and stalked towards you, its muzzle revealing feral teeth, and its stormy grey eyes glaring at you. You activated your Innocence -- a katana similar to Kanda's -- and you stared back into the wolf's eyes. 'Those eyes... they look so familiar...' The wolf took another step towards you and it started to shake its head, like it was fighting some sort of hallucinogenic, and started to growl, its ears flattening. Lavi then came out of the shop window and stared at you. "(Y/n), come on! Take the shot!" But a part of you didn't want to hurt the wolf. You stared at the wolf as it fought with itself. The beast then stopped and looked at you, as if asking you why you didn't attack such an obvious threat. 'What... or rather, who... are you?' Your thoughts echoed.

The wolf stared at you, its stormy grey eyes wide and mirroring an emotion that only you could see, mostly because your friends saw only a rampaging beast. In its eyes, you saw fear, loneliness, as well as frustration and anger. Lavi, his hammer over his head, lunged at the wolf, but it easily dodged, leaping on you and stared into your (e/c) eyes. It was then that you saw its eyes more clearly. You knew those eyes very well. The wolf brought its muzzle close to your forehead. In fear and anticipation, you closed your eyes. The wolf nudged your forehead, and then looked at you with sad eyes. "You're--?" You whispered. Before you could continue your question, the wolf was plowed over by Lenalee's Dark Boots, the wolf's claws accidentally scratching you in the process. Allen and Lavi came to either side of you and helped you stand. The wolf took one final look at you, as if it was asking for simpathy, before growling and running off. As he ran off, he let out a lonesome and frustrated howl.

Allen looked at you. "(Y/n), are you okay? Why didn't you attack that thing?" You looked at him, but before you could answet, Lavi gently took your arm where you had been scratched. "Looks like the claws only broke the skin, but we should get both you and Allen to the hospital wing." You looked at the scratch on your arm. "I'll be fine. No need to worry about me." You felt a sudden pain in your heart. Those were the same words that Kanda had said to you. You had felt hurt, but it was just a part of the samurai's personality. 'So why do I feel so hurt now?' You wondered as the pain continued to constrict in your heart. 'Kanda.' You thought, closing your eyes. And then you remembered the eyes of the wolf. Stormy grey eyes, filled with emotion, that had stared into your (e/c) ones. 'It can't be...'

You and your friends returned to the Order, and you and Allen were admitted into the hospital wing. Lavi and Lenalee were getting treated for some minor cuts and bruises, but that didn't stop a very frantic Chief Komui to run in a panic towards the ward.

"LENALEE!~" Komui's frantic voice echoed throughout the halls.

You sighed. 'Of course Komui would worry more about his sister than the two exorcists that were actually hurt.'

One of the nurses wrapped your arm, while several others held Allen down to treat the nerve damage in his left arm. Komui came in and then saw your arm. "Oh no, (Y/n) was hurt, too?!" He had a tendency to treat you like he did Lenalee. (That's to say that he was WAY too overprotective). "What happened back there?" Lavi said, a little agitated. "You just stood there while we took a beating." You'd never seen Lavi this ticked off before. Allen looked at him. "Shut up, Lavi. She was attacked in Romania as well. Give her a break will ya."

Your eyes suddenly widened. 'Romania. That has to mean something.' You thought over the events of the incident. 'That wolf was after me too. But Kanda pushed me out of the way... and he was bitten.' You kept thinking. 'Could it be... that the bite... made Kanda...?' You shot up from the cot. Allen looked at you. "Wait, (Y/n)! Where are you going?!" You didn't answer him. There was someone you had to see immediately. 'If he is the wolf, then they'll kill him!' Your thoughts screamed. You kept running towards his room.