One

I narrowly dodged a branch that easily could have whacked me in the head and knocked me unconscious. "Whoa, Heidi!" I exclaimed to the creature galloping below me. Her long golden mane
kept blowing up into my eyes as she galloped across the very edge of the track. It had been a little project of mine to try and break her in, tame her. However it had proven to be extremely difficult, she was determined to remain a wild horse.

But as much as I enjoyed my time with Heidi, today she was just a distraction so I wouldn't be longing for my parents. They had been away on some sort of mysterious business trip with another Kingdom, and I had missed them dearly for the past month. They normally spoke openly about business to do with the Kingdom, but for some reason this specific trip had to be kept confidential. That plus the fact that they were away for so long made me stay up late the night before brewing possible situations in my head. 

My mother's closest friend, Red, who lived with us in the palace, had received word that my parents were on their way home today, and I was bursting with excitement.
Red had been my babysitter for a long period of my life, but now she's more of a close family friend to me.

A red something flickered in the corner of my eye, and when I turned to face it, I immediately recognised it to be the long red cloak that Red was so famous for wearing.

I tugged on Heidi's mane to bring her to a slow trot {I had tried to get reigns on her, but the straddle was enough of a struggle already), but not to much result. The ginger-coloured horse began to trot around in circles instead of coming to a complete stop.
So as Red approached us, I remained on the disobedient mare.

'Having fun up there, Emma?' Red chuckled up at me. I had to turn my head repeatedly in order to look at her as I moved in circles.

'Any word on my parents' arrival?' I asked hopefully.

'Yes, that's actually why I came here.' I perked up immediately. 'They should be arriving any moment now.'

I began to struggle to stop the determined mare, but of course she wouldn't.

'Here,' Red walked over to Heidi and lay her gloved hand on the horse's neck. She began walking with the horse.
'Whoa, Heidi.' she said gently, tugging only slightly at her mane, and the mare immediately came to a stop.

As soon as I dismounted, I told Red, 'I swear, that animal is out to get me.'

I began attempting to bring Heidi back to the stable, but Red kindly took over.
'I'll bring her back, you go and greet your parents.' she instructed with a smile.

I nodded and immediately began sprinting towards the palace. I pulled my curly blonde hair out of it's braid as I ran, and I threw off my gloves as soon as I arrived to large, stony building. I ran through the palace, past various maids and butlers, until I reached the front courtyard.

I was disappointed to see the large front gates still shut and no carriage in sight.
I sighed and sunk onto the large white bench, situated right in front of the duck pond.

The only sounds to be heard were those of the ducks paddling around in the pond. Sitting in that kind of quiet gives a girl some time to think.

-----------------------------
I hope you all enjoyed the first chapter of my new book! I'm actually quite happy with how it turned out, let me know what you think!

Love and fake-aunts,
-Kaytlinxxx🐧