Two

Emma's POV

It had been two months since my mother's death. Two months of sleepless nights, endless sobbing, wearing black, and taking all of my anger out on the dummies that I practiced sword fighting with.
Dad had offered to practice with me but I refused, afraid that my anger would get the best of me and I would hurt him.

Not that he could be in much more pain than he is now.

For a while, the whole kingdom had been grieving with us... but then, about a week and a half after the funeral, people slowly stopped grieving, and began questioning what we would do without a Queen, and when my dad would remarry.

However, my dad had zero interest whatsoever in remarrying anyone, even if he did find someone who he loved enough.
He could never love anyone as much as he loved my mother. Not even me.

*

We had invited over many people for dinner, as, due to recent events, eating alone wasn't a great thought for us.

Red and her Granny were there, as was Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather. Mulan was also there. We invited Aurora and Philip, but they weren't available, as they were busy with the kids.
Besides, if they had come, I know Mulan wouldn't have. It was as plain as day to see that she was madly in love with Aurora, but tragically, it just wasn't meant to be.

We engaged in great conversation, I even laughed a few times, but there was always a sick, heavy pain of grief in my chest that weighed me down from being my usual "perky, golden hair with bouncy curls and bright, emerald green eyes" self. I was now more "dull, knotted yellow birds nest and dark, sad green eyes."

My dad was the same. Both of us had dark rings under our eyes, and he had stopped shaving, his stubble slowly growing into a beard.

Besides Dad and I, out of everyone, Red was the worst. Her face was now always drained of color and her usually bright, joyful blue eyes were now bloodshot and tired.

So, in a nutshell, we were all miserable.

After we had said goodbye to everyone, Dad and I decided to go to the parlour to read before we went to bed.
I chose my favorite book; "True Legends and Real Myths". It was hard for me to read, as it was Mom's favorite too. But I wanted to, in honour of her.

When I was just barely three chapters in, my father loudly cleared his throat. I looked up at him expectantly. His book was closed and on the table beside his chair, and he was looking at me like he wanted to tell me something, but was unsure.

"What is it?" I asked, setting down my book.

"I... uhh... I know you don't wanna talk about this but... " He began in a scratchy voice. "We... we have to talk about... the Queen."

I looked at him, puzzled.
"What, you mean Regina?"

"No... no, that's not... that's not what I meant." He pinched the bridge of his nose with his index finger and his thumb, his eyes closed tight.
"I meant... a Queen... to take... your mothers place."

My heart sank. What a horrible way to put it, "to take your mothers place". It made it sound more official... more real. It made it sound like she was really and truly gone.

"There are not many people in all the realms who could be as great a Queen as your mom." Dad said, interrupting my thoughts.

I nodded in agreement. Mom was a kind and fair ruler, and no matter what her position threw at her, she always found a way to fairly solve the problem.

"So... I was thinking..." Dad continued. "Who would be a better person to reign after Snow White... than her own daughter?"

My eyes widened. He expected me to become Queen? Queen? How in this world was I going to be able to handle that when I can't even control my own magic?