Chapter 1

Something was bothering her. I had to figure it out. She ignored me after the game. I wonder why. I spot her in the locker room, putting a jacket on.

"Alex!" I called. She looked up, and looked back down, shoving her cleats in a bag then hurrying out. I furrowed my brows, and took off after her. She got on the bus, and took a seat in the completely empty back of the bus. I sat in the empty seat next to her, giving her no escape. She looked around hopeful that there was an escape.

"Alex. Tell me what's going on with you" I said. She gave up looking and stared out the window.

"If this is about us yesterday and you regret it then tell me. I will understand" I say. Yesterday she kissed me. I'm not sure why, but she did. I really like her, and didn't think she liked me back.

"Alex" I pleaded. "Tell me what's bothering you" I placed a hand on her arm.

She looked over at me with fear and anxiety.

"Alex" I said, hurt. I drew my arm away. If she didn't like me, why didn't she tell me before?

I turned away from her, beginning to get out of my seat. She pulled me back down.

I looked hopefully at her.

"Tobin" she said, and hugged me, burying her head in my neck. I was shocked.

When she pulled away, I decided to ask her.

"What's bothering you Alex" I asked her. She shrugged, took a deep breath, and licked her lips.

"Listen. This morning, I got up. Turns out, I wasn't married after all" she says, and I frowned.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"My husband was gone, but he left a note. He said someone told him about you and I. He left his wedding ring" She choked back a sob.

"Alex, I'm really sorry" I said, and she looked down, and controlled herself, so tears wouldn't come.

"Tobin. I don't know what to do. How would he have figured it out? Ugh I'm just so lost" she put her face in her hands.

I put my arm around her, and she leaned into me. I don't know what to think about this. Should I be happy he's out of the way? Or should I be sad because her heart is broken.

I let her calm down, then made her look at me.

"Listen Alex. You don't have to solve everything today. Give it time. Maybe he'll be back. Or maybe you will get better in another way" I told her, and she smiled.

The bus started to move.

"Tobs, please don't let go of me" she whispered, and I held my arm tighter around her until she fell asleep. Even then I didn't let go. I fell asleep.

"Tobin wake up" Alex shook me awake.

"What? Huh?" I looked around.

"We're back in Portland" she smiled.

I smiled back at her.

But she stopped smiling, and stared out the window.

"What?" I ask.

"It's just that, Servvando would always...always" her voice broke. I put my arm around her.

"Shhh it's okay" I told her, but she began to cry anyway. I bit down on my lower lip, wondering what I should do.

She turned to me.

"I can't go back there" She said.

I held her close, and turned her chin so she faced me.

I wiped a tear away with my thumb.

"Alex, listen. It's not your fault he left. It's okay to be sad. It's okay not to smile" I whispered. "Life goes on" she stopped crying. I let a sigh escape me.

"That was really nice" she searched my eyes for some sort of emotion, but I masked my feelings well. She shouldn't know unless I know about her.

"Tobin! Alex! Let's go" Abby called from the front of the bus. I stood quickly.

I grabbed my bags and hurried off the bus, Alex following behind.

I fit my headphones on and listened to one of my favorite songs, On My Way, by Illijah.

Alex stopped me.

"Huh?" I said, taking part off my ear.

"Can I stay with you" she whispered.

My stomach flipped.

"S-sure" I said. And she grinned.

We got into my car, and I drove to a motel. That's where I stay most of the time. In and out of hotels and motels.

We got a room, and we put our stuff in it.

"Do you want the bed or the couch?" I asked Alex.

"I'll take whichever one you want" she said, and I chuckled a little.

"What?" She asked, laughing a little.

"Nothin. I'll take the couch. You can have the bed" I said, and got myself a blanket and pillow.

Once situated on the couch, Alex watched me lay down.

I freeze, then look at her, raising my eyebrows.

"What is it?" I ask. She blushes, shakes her head, and grins.

"Nothing" she smiles, then lays down, facing me.

I shift uncomfortably then somehow fall asleep.