Epilogue Three

It's disgusting, but my father taught me when your mouth gets dry, just suck the sweat out of your own jersey. There's no bravado to any of it; it's just a disgusting little trick. ~Kobe Bryant

Ashton's POV

*Three Years Later*

He, was weird.

Always so close.

Always so far.

It seemed like one moment he wanted everything to do with me.

The next minute he wanted nothing to do with me.

I wish I had any clue on what to do.

Because Luke, was driving me insane.

Sometimes he wanted to snuggle with me and watch a movie - which was always nice - but other times, he wanted to sit secluded in his bedroom.

Then there were certain times of the day. During the day, he really never wanted to be around me. It was only at about seven-eight o'clock when he really seemed interested in me again. And he came back.

'Let's do this Luke' always resulted in a 'no I don't really feel like it,' or even 'I don't think I'm comfortable doing that.'

And it was always about Luke, always.

I always put him first before anything. Ever since he agreed to our wonderful friendship, that now three years later was still as platonic as when it first started. It seemed at night, he was one person. Then during the day, he was another.

Sometimes he would go out with Tess, Diana or even his brother during the day. That meant at night he wanted to go sit alone in his room. He usually went out seeming happy enough, when he got back, he seemed rather displeased.

Luke and I lived in a tiny two-bedroom apartment for two years and in that time, I have spent only a few hours a day if I was lucky with the kid.

But what else could I do? One of us was always miserable. Just Luke was never around to console me. I was alone, like always.

"H-Hey," Luke's voice rang through the room and I turned to see him and Tess standing inside the doorway as they walked inside. Luke mentioned changing his pants, then he walked back to his room whilst Tess stood with me.

"Hey Ashton." She smiled and sat down the couch, I had to glare at her. I really did not want her here. Tess and I never really got along. As much as she worried for me and said how much she wanted to help, she never did a damned thing for me. As a result, I gave up on her.

"How are you?" She asked, still smiling. I simply ignored her question, though. She knew the answer as well as I did.

"So what, you two are going to go out. I'll have to stay up and then wait for him to get back so he doesn't freak out?" I huffed. Tess let out her own sigh at me.

"You know, if you just asked Luke how he felt about you maybe you could date again and everything would be peachy." Tess said.

"No," I spoke firmly right after she had finished. "I don't want him to suffer again and I especially don't think he would still want anything to do with me."

"He really likes you!" Tess said, a tone of anger to her voice. She said this quite often. I always thought she was just trying to inspire some false hope in me.

I did not want to get my hopes up, only to have them knocked down though.

"Men suck," Tess groaned as she stood up and opened the door of the apartment. "I'm leaving."