Planning

Glancing at the unmoving clock, I twisted my hand around the other. I was nervous. Sure, I was strong-headed and pretty tough, but when my life was at stake I was a wreck.

Dr. Collins shut the door behind him, walking in to see me sitting straight up on my bed. He threw me a questioning look.

“Is something wrong?” He asked.

“N-no. Nothing’s wrong.” I stuttered unconvincingly. I cleared my throat, hoping it would prevent a shaky voice.

“Are you sure?” He looked at me with pleading eyes. They bore into mine.

Oh God, he knew. Stay calm.

Maybe he doesn’t.

“I’m sure.” I assured him. He plumped down beside me on the green bed. Suddenly, he reached for my hand.

“Hayley, I know what’s going on tonight.” His voice dropped to a shallow whisper. “As much as I respect you for standing up, I can’t let you do it. You’re my responsibility and I can’t let them hurt you.”

I stared at him wide-eyed. How could he have possibly known that?

“I wasn’t planning anything.” I replied, trying to get him to believe it.

Noticing he was still holding my hand, he let go. “Don’t lie to me. You can trust me. Trust me when I say that they will hunt you down and make you pay for escaping, especially if you take more girls with you.”

I pondered this. Was the risk still worth it?

I nodded at Nathan, showing that I understood.

He patted me on the back and stood up. “Well, I hate to make you feel awkward, but after last night’s fiasco, I have to sleep in here with you. I’ll be back; I’m going to go find a sleeping bag.”

Sliding out the door, I noticed that it was getting late. Pink never showed.

Was she being constantly watched over?

I lay back in my bed, pulling the covers up to my neck and snuggling with my pillow. The door opened up once again, revealing Nathan. He had a sleeping bag and pillow in tow. Laying each of them down, he switched off the light.

“Goodnight Hayley.” Nathan said as I heard him wiggle into the sleeping bag.

“Night.” I replied.

I closed my eyes and listened to the steady sound of his breathing.

Suddenly, I saw a bright light. I jumped awake. Nathan was directly beside me on the bed.

“What the heck are you doing?” I screamed and scooted away from him.

He jolted awake. “I didn’t know I moved! I swear. I must have done it unconsciously.”

Yeah, right.

I remembered what Pink said. “He doesn’t just want to be your keeper. He wants to be your, you know.”

The words bounced around in my head.

“Get off me!” I yelled as I pushed him off the bed. He hit the floor with a thud. I crawled out of the green sheets and ran to the cafeteria without him.

I heard footsteps behind me, but refused to turn around.

How dare he come into my bed without my permission?

These men make me sick. They can’t just walk all over me because I won’t let them.

I’m done following their stupid regulations.

I sped up and grabbed my breakfast.

Pink was sitting at her table alone today, sipping at her milk.

“Hey Pink.” I waved as I set my tray down. “Remember what we were talking about yesterday?”

“I’m so sorry I didn’t come! I heard a man’s voice in there.” She apologized.

“No, it’s fine. Can you come today though? Usually he’s gone after breakfast.”

She agreed to.

Quickly, I finished my meal and headed to my room with Pink behind me.

Once we got in, I offered her the bed and sat on the sleeping bag that was still sprawled out on the floor.

“So I have a plan.” I started.

“I figured you did.” She smiled and blinked her heavily lashed eyes.

“You know how the alarm goes off once you open a door? Well, we could all go out the door, but leave one girl behind. They’ll just think that she shut off the alarm. But we’d have to be quick about it so that nobody else gets caught.” I babbled off my plan, using unrelated hand motions like I usually did.

“But who would we leave behind?” She asked with worried eyes.

I shrugged my shoulders. “Me.”

Pink rapidly shook her head. “No, no, no. You made the plan, you’re saving us. You get to leave too.”

“Exactly, Pink. I made the plan. This means I get to choose who stays.”

She continued shaking her head, but I already made my decision. I would sacrifice myself if it meant saving everyone else, including innocent Pink.

Sighing, she paused her shaking head to ask, “So, when is this happening?”

“Soon.” I responded.

We sat in silence while we grouped our thoughts together. Hopefully, the plan will pan out.

Pink sauntered over to me, reaching around my body. “I’ll miss you, Hayley. I wish I could be like you; brave and cunning.” Her eyes began to tear up as she wandered out of the room.

Brave and cunning?

I’m not a spy, Pink.

I’m barely even human.

I’m different and weird.

The only feelings I have are for myself. I get angry, but rarely sad.

I’m selfish.

I cry about my future, when my mom now has none.

That is why I chose to stay and save the others.

I need to better myself. 

How was this chapter? I know it took awhile to upload, but I was busy :/ 

Will the plan work out?

Would you be brave enough to stay alone, like Hayley wants to do?

Are you more like Hayley or Pink?