A Bump in the Journey

For nights, I slept.

When I was awake, I ate what I could and sat in a trance. My eyes fixated on nothing in particular. Nathan and Alex stood by my side, but I barely knew they were there.

On a Saturday, I awoke to hear a high pitched scream coming from the next room. I heard it, but it was muffled. I heard a door slam and things being moved around. And crying. Horrible sobbing, that if I was in the right mind would have made my heart hurt.

My bedroom door burst open to reveal Nathan, red faced and worry stricken.

“Hayley, I'm sorry. I tried.” His lips uttered an apology. Confusion overcame me and all I could think was, “Sorry for what? Who are you?”

Three men followed him into the room. I recognized one. Him. That awful man. Hatred was all I could feel. Though I was weak and disoriented, I managed to yell at him.

He grabbed me and gave me a cold shot.

The last thing I remember before blacking out was Alex, laying on the ground, shivering and pale, with blood pooling around her.

Had she been shot? I hadn't heard a thing.

I opened up my eyes and realized I was back in the Green Room. Well, a Green Room anyway. There was no way of knowing if it was my old one.

Beeping was coming from the machines and they didn't sound promising. I knew I was dying, but I didn't know how fast.

I wanted to know my whole story, not just the end. What happened to Dad? To Alex? Did they kill Nathan for hiding me?

I could hear men chatting just outside my door. I leaned closer and pulled off the machines.

“What did they do to that kid? The one that kidnapped that young girl? What's his name, Collins?”

“Yeah, Nathan Collins. I heard they kept him here in a room. He was too much of a medical genius to let go. They think he'll find the cure. Yeah, right.”

“Hey do you hear that beeping? Sounds like we should check her out.”

“Not too much time left for her, if any. I don't know if it's even worth checking on.”

I hoped that they didn't mean me.

But I knew they did.

Nathan would find a cure. He'd save me.

A man did come in though. He hooked the machines back on and walked out of the room without even saying hello.

I fell asleep that night and had a dream for the first time in a long time. I mean, a good dream compared to a nightmare. I've had plenty of those.

Mom and Dad were having a picnic in the park and watching me swing back and forth. They smiled and told me not to go so high, but I didn't listen. I jumped off and landed into a different time. The future. My wedding. I looked down the aisle as the organist played “Here Comes the Bride” and lovingly grinned at my fiance, Nathan.

I jolted up. Someone was holding my hand. The machines started beeping uncontrollably.

“It's okay Hayley. It's only me.” Nathan's voice rang in my ears. I tried to calm down, but my heart wouldn't stop racing.

“I did it. I can save you.” He smiled at me. I smiled back, but I knew that was impossible.

He wasn't the only one in the room. To my right stood my father and mother, whispering, “It's time to go.”

“No you won't.” I gave him my last few breaths. “I love you.”

“What? Hayley...” The beeping turned into buzzing. I was being let free.

I heard Nathan yelling my name, but there was no way he could reach me.

He found the cure, and that's what mattered. I was just a bump in the journey.

I started to wonder if I was always close to death, close to the spiritual world. Maybe that's why I kept seeing Mom.  

Thank you everyone who has stuck with me through this journey. I know that it took a long time and I didn't update so often, but it's finished. It may have some down points and problems, but hopefully with every work I'll improve. Can't wait to start a new story soon! Leave your comments about the ending and the whole story below to help me with things I should improve on or continue doing. Once again, thanks for everything!