Chapter 46

My head is spinning as I lean back against Glenn's leg that hangs from above in the van. My throat is dry and the blistering heat makes me uncomfortable, sweat covering my body. My lips are cracked and I run my tongue across them in hopes of moistening them, it doesn't do much. Belle leans against me, causing more discomfort but I leave her be. The whole group is quiet as we wait for Daryl, Maggie and Sasha to come back. I stare off into the distance, keeping an eye for them but I know they will be a while yet. I close my eyes, trying to stop my head from spinning.

It's been a rough couple of days. We've been driving towards Washington in hopes of finding something there. When they were on the run, Michonne and Rick discussed the idea of Washington. Michonne believes that Eugene must of been onto something if he chose Washington, that something must be there. We've been on the road for a long time, but we still have a long way to go. There's barely any food or water, barely any gas to make it to Washington. We're all exhausted and weak, struggling to hold on.

I've grown more and more uncomfortable, knowing that the baby is nearly ready to be born. Though I keep it hidden, I'm terrified about his birth. Out on the open road, there's more chance of me putting everyone in danger. I don't want that, I want everyone safe. If we don't find somewhere soon, I'm not sure what I'll do. This fear keeps me wide awake at night, making me weaker and more of a burden to the group, to Daryl.

I feel someone tap my shoulder and I open my eyes, looking to see who it is. Tara kneels before me, a water bottle in her hand that's outstretched towards me.  I smile at her gratefully and take the near empty bottle, drinking a smaller sip. I hand the water bottle to Belle, who takes a drink before handing it to Rosita.

I turn my head to the side and see Rick looking at me, his large grey beard covering the lower half of his face, "How're you doing?" He asks, his voice filled with concern.

I close my eyes and shake my head, the corners of my lips turned up into a weak smile, "I'm perfect." I say quietly, sarcasm laced in my tone.

No humour covers his face as he looks at me and my lips fall into a straight line, "I'm exhausted." I admit, knowing he wants the truth.

He closes his eyes and sighs before opening them once more, "I know, we all are. It's only sixty miles to Washington." He states.

"Sixty miles with barely any food, water or gas." I add and he looks at me.

"I know things are rough now but we'll make it. I promise." He says, determination in his tone.

"How can you know that?" I ask and he scrunches his eyebrows at me, "We will. We always do."

"Rick, we're barely surviving now. And when that car goes, we'll have to walk. Exposed to walkers, the heat, no food, no water." I say, listing off everything that's going wrong.

"Hey listen to me. We are going to be fine alright? I'm going to make sure that nothing bad happens. All you need to do is focus on your children, leave the rest of the worrying up to me." He says, a serious look on his face.

As I look at him, I see that he cares. Rick and I haven't exactly been the closest of friends, but he's always been someone I've been able to trust with my life, my family's life and that means a lot to me. I reach my hand forward and grasp his, giving him a small smile of appreciation. He nods his head and I let his hand go, turning back to the road.

In the distance, I see figures walking towards us. I cup my hand over my eyes to block out the sun and squint for a closer look. I see that it's Daryl and the others and I let out a sigh of relief. They walk towards us and I look down at Belle, who has her eyes closed.  Rick gets up from beside me and walks towards them, Michonne by his side. He stops by Daryl and they talk while Maggie and Sasha walk forward. Maggie walks and takes a seat on the ledge beside Glenn, her feet beside me. I look at her face and see the tear stains amongst the grime and I feel my heart ache. I want to be there for her, to take away her pain but there's only so much I can do, that Glenn can do.