Chapter 17

I stand under an umbrella, taking a sip from an ice cold glass of home made lemonade. I sigh in appreciation, not having had this in a long time. The drink is refreshing as it slides down my throat and I close my eyes.

"It's pretty incredible isn't it?"

I turn and see Andrea standing next to me and I smile at her, "It sure is. I'd never thought I'd see anything like this after the farm." I say, thinking of my old home.

She looks at the ground to me, "I miss them."

I sigh, "Yeah me, too." Thinking of Belle and Daryl.

I look around and notice Michonne isn't anywhere to be seen, "Where's Michonne?" I ask.

She sighs and rolls her eyes, "I don't know, probably sulking somewhere."

"Why?" I ask.

"She doesn't trust this place, things there's something up. She wants to leave." She explains, taking another sip of her drink.

I frown and look forward as the Governor walks up into the front porch we're surrounding, "Alright!" He calls, getting everyone's attention.

"Hey, uh, the first time we gathered... there was nine of us held up in an apartment with spam and saltine crackers. Well look at us now." He laughs and there is cheering from the crowd.

"We've built a place we can call home. It may be held together with duct tape and string but it works. It's ours, I'll take it. So today, we celebrate how far we've come. We remember those we've lost. We raise a glass to us!" The Governor cries.

There's cheering as every raises their glasses in celebration. We take a drink and soon the talking begins again and Andrea walks forward to speak with the Governor.

"You enjoying yourself Hay Hay?"

I roll my eyes and turn to face him, "Yes I am."

"Good, I like to see you loosen up and have a bit of fun." He says, taking a drink.

"Yeah well, may as well enjoy it before I go." I say, taking a drink.

"Yeah, about that..." He begins.

"What?" I ask, narrowing my eyes.

"I have a lot going on here at the moment and I can't go right now." He explains.

"That's bullshit Merle, you promised me." I say, getting angry.

"And I'll keep my promise, it's just it will be a bit longer before we can start looking." He says.

"I cannot believe this." I say, walking away from him.

"Hayley." He says, grabbing my arm.

"He's your brother Merle, she's your niece! Do you even want to find them?" I ask.

He clenches his jaw, "You know I love my baby brother more than anything in this world."

"Then why don't you want to find him?"

He lets out an exasperated sigh, "Just a couple of more days Hayley, then it's you and me."

I glare at him, "If you're lying to me, I swear I'll cut the other hand off." I threaten, walking back towards my room.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's dark outside when I hear a knocking at my door. I grab my jacket and open the door, finding Andrea standing there.