You Had No Interest

"What are you doing here?" Kurt asked, his voice no louder than a whisper.

"I wanted to see you," Burt said and Kurt scoffed.

"Hi," a small voice said and Burt looked down to see a little girl staring at him. Maisie.

"Hi," Burt said quietly.

"Maisie, why don't you go play in your room for a bit?" Kurt said.

"What about Shane?" the little girl asked.

"I'm going to bring him up," Kurt said with a tight smile.

Maisie looked between the two men for a moment before scampering up the stairs.

"Bye grandpa!" she called over her shoulder and Burt's eyes widened in shock.

"She knows who I am?" the elder Hummel asked.

"Of course she does," Kurt said, "Just because you had no interest in getting to know them doesn't mean we didn't tell them about you."

Burt stepped into the house and Kurt closed the door behind him, walking into the living room without a word. Burt followed slowly and saw Kurt lifting Shane up.

"I'll be right back," Kurt muttered and But watched him go, waving hesitantly at Shane as the boy looked over his dad's shoulder to stare at him.

Kurt returned a few minutes later, but he didn't say anything to his dad. He walked straight past Burt and into the kitchen where he resumed making dinner.

"How have you been Kurt?" his dad asked.

"Great," Kurt said flippantly. "Noah's been working a lot, but it's money so that's good. And Shane and Maisie are doing great, they've been working on school work today."

Burt was confused. Kurt was talking to him so... casually.

"That's great," Burt said awkwardly. "Listen Kurt, I know we have a lot to talk about-"

"Not yet," Kurt interrupted.

"What?" Burt furrowed his brow.

"Not yet," Kurt repeated, turning to face his dad, his expression hard. "I want Noah to be here when you make your excuses."

As he said this, they heard the lock turn and the front door open.

"Hello!" Noah called, walking inside. "Kurt? It's quiet, where are the..." He trailed off when as he stepped into the kitchen and saw his father-in-law.

"Burt."

Burt nodded at him, but turned back to face his son as Kurt spoke.

"Alright, go ahead."

Alright, so that isn't where I planned originally to have this chapter end. Originally I was going to have the whole confrontation/conversation with Kurt, Noah, and Burt.

Unfortunately, my hands decided that wasn't going to happen. I think I've mentioned this before, but in case I haven't I hand write all my chapters first and then type them. By the time I got to the end of this chapter my hands were just aching and I couldn't get anymore out for this one.

Sorry about that! The conversation will happen next week instead!

Thanks so much for reading!