Chapter Twenty Three: The Black Parade Part 4 (Paz the third)

“What has been said cannot be unsaid. What has been done cannot be undone, Scarlett. Your daughter is fated to be one of the Sanktum,” a melodic voice proclaimed.

Where am I? Everything seems so hazy. I squeezed my eyes shut and started to blink rapidly. The last thing I remembered before I passed out was someone saying something about a Parade…

“No! It can’t be true! Are you sure it isn’t my firstborn, Emerald?” A sweet, familiar voice pleaded.

That voice, it can’t be…

“Mother…?” I said almost desperately. My voice echoed through the darkness, everything seemed so distant. When my vision adjusted to the environment, I was in a place that I’d never thought I’d be in again.

“But Bath Kol, she is a mere half-breed, and only in her fifth year! If the Royals of Seraphim find out that she’s also a guardian, then they will take her away from me and kill her for sure!” she cried out.

The Angel of Divine Prophecy, Bath Kol, could only stare at Scarlett with her vibrant, melancholy eyes. “You should rejoice in the fact that she did not end up with a fate similar to the half-breed son of Azriel, Scarlett,” she said darkly. Then without warning, she disappeared into the night.

So the caramel-haired angelic woman was left alone in her moon-lit room. She stared down to the ground in sweet sorrow, and began to sob gracefully. Her diamond-like tears glistened in the darkness. Although her fragile grey eyes screamed of lamentation and hostility, they couldn’t have seemed any more serene. As if on cue, a ray of moonlight cracked through the window and shone on her flawless, tanned skin. Her white silk night dress just added more to the celestial effect. At that moment, she was the epitome of broken beauty. 

I stared at her in pained awe. For someone who was in a state of despair, she couldn’t be any more radiant. In an instant I was crouched right beside her as she cried onto the foot of her bed. She didn’t seem to notice me, so I reached out to touch her.

 “Mom don’t cry, I’m-” I began to comfort her, but I was interrupted by a ghost. I got up, walked to the middle of the room, and stood there watching them while they were standing at the door.

“Mommy?” a child’s voice asked feebly as they stepped into the room. The familiar, grey-eyed little girl started to prod towards her mother and sat down beside her. The Angel woman looked down lovingly at her frail daughter and plastered on a pained smile. Her daughter returned the smile, but it quickly faded when she noticed the damp tear streaks on her mother’s face. She tilted her head slightly to the right, reached up to her mother’s face with both hands, and began to wipe the tears away.   

“Why is mommy crying?” the little girl asked. There was an obvious indication of concern in the child’s voice. Her mother just continued to stare at the little girl with affection, and then she placed her hands over the girl’s hands.

 “Don’t worry about it Topaz. Let’s just go to sleep and have sweet dreams tonight, okay?” the Angel woman suggested. Her daughter beamed a smile at her and nodded her head energetically. They both then began to crawl onto the bed, and lied down. That night the mother held her daughter protectively. It was like as if she were to let go of her, she would be gone. Taken away from her loving grasp...

All I could do was stare at the memory in utter confusion. Why the hell am I being showed this!? Although this memory in particular wasn’t exactly bad, I was still confused.

 Then suddenly, the shadows began to forcefully engulf me into the coldness again. When I was completely immersed in pure darkness, I instinctively began to frantically whip my arms around. All I could feel was the icy air and shadows. I could hear the faint voice of a little girl in the depths of the darkness. It all started out faint, but then it all began to intensify and echo all around me. It was suffocating.