Chapter Seven: Meetings, Greetings, & Daemon Magic (Mhercee)

I ran along the stone pathways, Requim dogging at my heels. I needed to get to that stupid tree before the sun rose. The old Daemon hut built into the Ore tree would provide me with a safe place to shelter from the suns beating rays at least for a while. Hopefully a storm would blow in and I would be able to leave early. We ran up away from the city towards the large rolling hills, I had been tempted to kill the book keeper for allowing the Compilation book of Immortality records to be defiled by some boy that asked.

I had resisted the urge to ring his neck at that moment but now I was seriously considering going back to kill him. Stupid human. I wouldn’t be so forgiving if I hadn’t already memorized the stupid book. I knew every thing there was to know about this immortality stone and the race for it. I smiled to myself. I knew about the booby traps because the person who had gotten closest to the stone was a Daemon. This meant I was going to have an easier time getting the stone.

I stopped running and Requim came to a halt on my right, we both stared up at the large tree that had been hacked in half by a lightening bolt. The left half stuck out to the side leaving a blackened and charred scar that disfigured the magnificent tree. I may not know the geography of the place but I knew landmarks that helped me out.

This tree was one of the safe houses for Daemons who had gone away to explore, because of the sunlight we needed lots of safe houses for the day when we couldn’t go out in the light without risking a horrible flaming death. I grinned to myself pushing the hood back and walked towards it, my long black and white hair loose behind me twisting and twirling the wind as it howled through the starless sky carrying no clouds to give me even a hope of shade for the day.

I glanced to the horizon, fearing the sun would rise on me and burn me to a crisp. With a heavy sigh I turned, tossing the irrelevant fear away into the wind. I could not hide from the sun any longer. It had been over a hundred years since the last Daemon had stepped foot in the light of day, he had never been seen again so we had just thought he had died in the sun. They were rumours, fables to scare us from the upper world that tempted us with brightness and looming death threats.

I walked forward lightly my hands resting on the twin pistols waiting for somebody to jump out at me. After the slaughter in the NightLock I wouldn’t be surprised if my father ordered my execution. I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire world was out to get me now, having killed Gengian citizens and underworld citizens and not just any but the equivalent to Dascs. Which was a very large and punishable offence that I would pay for. But they had deserved it for following my father. I held no regrets in my heart for what I have done to get here.

I reached out with a shaking hand and placed on the bark my nails slowly digging into its hardened exterior. It was a good aged tree and it held many secrets within its deep hollow, Requim set about opening the door for me so we could flee inside from the coming sun. But I had a different idea of what I would do. I would sit out and greet the sun. If I died then I was unfit for this hunt and would die happily. This would be one of the ways I would surpass my father. I would greet the sun.

"Requim?" I said idly looking over at him as he patted the tree trunk.

He looked up at me absently, "Hm?" he muttered not giving me his full attention which was a dangerous thing to do.

"I think I’ll greet the sun" I said turning and leaning against the tree crossing my arms over my chest grinning like a madman.

He froze and turned to look at me, his white ice eyes wide in fear, "Are you mad!" He snapped.

"Maybe, but I wont fear anything anymore. I will greet the sun and become stronger then my father" I said shaking my head at him.

He snorted and punched the tree in the same spot twice. The ground shuttered, a crack appeared in the tear opening up the doorway, the stony ground slowly moved down under the tree leading into the hollow where we could rest and hide for a bit. I smiled sweetly at him and jumped over the edge dropping into the darkness of the pit. I blinked rubbing my eyes as I adjusted to the sudden lack of all light. I could make out the cots and shelves that lined the walls around me. But it was the golden chest that sat locked in the glass case high on the wall that I wanted. I grinned and ran over, climbing up the wall of book shelves easily. The candles that floated in the air moved away from me safely avoiding my long hair.