part 7

Finally she broke Jay's suspense and answered.

"I guess that when I was young I never really thought about having to take care of myself. I took everything my parents gave me and acted as if it was nothing. They died on their way to town to pick up some more cattle for the herd. I was 16 years old at the time and though I started to work at the neighbor's restaurant, it was barely enough. I still had income coming from my dad's cattle but it wasn't very much. Truth be told, the first thing I learned is that it's the little things in life that mean the most. Especially when you realize that it is the little things you never will get to enjoy again. You learn to grow up quick", she added the last part very quiet.
It was silent for many minutes before Jay finally spoke,

"I'm so sorry about your parents Lauren, I am glad that I met you though".

Lauren's cheeks were the color of cherries from the comment. Finally the question that had been bugging Lauren shot out of her mouth,

"Who was the man that came down right before me, the one who beat you?".

Jay was quiet for a moment while in the process of thinking of how to word his answer. Finally he spoke,

"If I'm going to have you help me, you should probably know. The man you saw was the master, I am his apprentice. He chained me here for a reason unknown to me and came to beat me right before you came down. He didn't say much, just did everything he could to make me look like this".