This is my first fanfiction, so let me know if I'm failing at life. This is also un-beta'd.

There are mentions of abuse in the beginning of the story, but nothing as crazy as I've read in other stories here.

Really, this is a story about life and love. About overcoming the shit we get go through and knowing that not everyone is cruel or selfish. We all go through stuff, hard stuff. Not everyone's stuff is the same, but that doesn't mean it's any less hard. In this story, there will be fluffy nonsense, humor, awkward moments, and sometimes you may want to punch one of the characters. That's life.

Well...here goes nothing. (I promise this is just a back story chapter and it is straight dialogue after the first few)

--------------------------------------------------------

It's a great burden to bear, knowing your naneth (mother) didn't survive your birth. Legolas didn't think his adar (father) ever truly blamed him, but he wouldn't blame him if he had. She was supposed to live forever by his adar's side. She was beautiful, more so than any other in the entire kingdom.

Thranduil, his adar, grieved for 50 years before he could really face anyone that resembled her. Legolas' brother, Lainor (name means freedom;male) had a slight likeness to her, but It has been made very clear by all, that Legolas was his naneth's iôn (son) in looks and spirit. Legolas had pure blond hair and bright blue eyes. Such a clear and innocent beauty to his face. Legolas would also gain his mothers gracefulness and strong but beautiful demeanor.

As an elfling, Legolas never saw his adar, though he remembers hearing Thranduil's voice order others to look after and to care for Legolas. He even remembered hearing his adar speak of his love for Legolas and still call him iôn nin (my son).

Lainor would visit Legolas before bed some nights, but Lainor always kept so busy during the day. Whether this was to avoid his own grief or that of their adar's, he did not know. So Legolas was left in the care of the servants and hand-maids of the kingdom. He has very fond memories of a few of them, Lumorniel (name means daughter of the tree's shade) specifically. She, though often busy with her duties, always spent time doting on Legolas. Telling him how bright and beautiful he was. She was the only one he ever let hold him. Lumorniel was quite petite, with deep green eyes and very dark hair. She would tell him stories when she could, and when he was older, she would listen to his stories and songs.

One servant, however, did quite the opposite. Minasson (name means tower;male) reminded Legolas always that he was the one who stole his naneth's light. Told him that he was a kin-slayer and that his adar could never love him. Took him to dark corners of the kingdom and beat him and used him. Minasson told Legolas that if he spoke of it to anyone, he would kill Lumorniel and tell his adar that Legolas had done it. He bit his tongue, even with Lumorniel, and took the abuse. He figured it was the least he deserved if all Minasson had told him was true.

He made sure to hide the signs of abuse. He would bathe alone and make sure that his hair covered the bruises on his neck. He did his best to mask his physical pain and created excuses when he was found out. The evil ministrations of Minasson continued to get worse. Legolas turned down any romantic or friendly advances from other elves. He felt as though everyone could see the shame he felt for allowing such dirty and horrible things to happen to him.

Minasson had stolen Legolas' ability to feel love or worth.

Legolas didn't see Thranduil's eyes until well past his 50th summer. Legolas assumed it caused his adar too much pain to look at him. By the time that Thranduil was able to look upon his iôn's face with love, there was nothing left of the little beautiful baby that had caused him so much grief. As Thranduil moved to pull his iôn into his arms, Legolas dropped his gaze and flinched. He had tried so hard to hide the fear, but no one in the room could have missed it. The only loving touch he had known was that of Lumorniel and it was far outweighed by the hurtful touch of Minasson. Thranduil pulled his iôn's chin up to force their eyes to meet and he could see the pain in his eyes.