Chapter 1 : Hang 'Em High

RIIING! RIIING! RIIING! I heard my alarm clock ring. That damn thing. I slapped it off with one hand and sat up in my bunk bed. Looking around. Lost. We were on the tour bus, on our way to Chicago for another show promoting our new album, Danger Days. Ahh, if only people knew the life of a typical Way.

You know, this life wasn't all that it turned out to be. I'm half vampire, half werewolf. My brother, Mikey, is one too. Our powers are extraordinary. We put them to use sometimes; but not in front of everyone. Only our fellow vampires and werewolves. It's so surreal, it's not even funny. But we're good people, don't worry.

Yes, in fact, some of my friends are dead. Some are very much alive. I've been through a lot these past months to come.

I rubbed the humongous scar on my eye and sighed heavily.

By a lot, I mean a lot.

But before I tell you that story, I have to tell you THIS story.

-------------------------------------------

It was a Friday evening. Early in the morning, I and the band had done pre-tour managing with the whole crew and I had gotten on the Warped Tour list. We were gonna make it even bigger than before. I was excited. Words couldn't even describe how I felt at that moment; to be touring everywhere with my band and having loads of fun. Seeing the screaming fans, going out, eating, sleeping, playing music, it was gonna be awesome.

I sat in the living room at my house, on my fancy leather couch. My feet were propped up on the coffee table in front of me. Along with Mikey by my side of course. Just me and my lovely brother. In my house. In New Jersey. Chilling. We were watching reruns of Sex and the City. I sighed.

Wait.

Sex and the City?!

"Who watches that?!" I exclaimed at Mikey. Mikey was still staring straight ahead at the TV screen. I grabbed the remote and flipped the channel hurriedly. I landed on the Simpsons fortunately. Hm, I could live with this. Sighing contentedly, I dropped the remote back on the couch and slouched back. After all, we had spent all day watching TV and I wasn't even paying attention to what we were watching! I was too busy daydreaming about the tour.

It took a while before Mikey even said something.

"Hey!" he snapped, hastily grabbing back the remote, "I was watching that!"

I snapped back to reality and made a look at him, then replied back crudely, "No, you weren't, Mikey-poo. You know I effing HATE that show!"

He shook his head and switched back. "You didn't have a problem with it! I was the one with the remote. You weren't even paying attention, dumbass. Now lemme watch my show in peace..."

My eyebrows furrowed. Why was my unicorn-loving brother such a smartass? No. I didn't wanna watch that show again. It's not my fault my mind was in a different place.

"That show is dumb!" I yelled.

"No, it's actually pretty resourceful. NOW LET ME WATCH!" he yelled.

I snatched the remote back from him and flipped back to the Simpsons. Before you know it, we started pulling the remote from each other back and forth repeatedly. Ah, the fights we get into.

I never understood how Mikey and I could put up with each other's pointless arguments. I never understood how he was so quiet and I was so talkative and outgoing about everything. I don't know if I even understood my brother at all. I don't know why we even bothered to fight over stupid stuff.

And here we were, fighting over a remote.

I heard a familiar voice ring from the upper stairs behind us, "HEY! Stop fighting over that stupid remote!" I let go of the remote as soon as I heard the voice and looked up at the staircase. I stopped as I paid no attention to Mikey flipping back to his 'desired channel'.