Chapter 7

Chapter 7 

I wake up earlier than I normally do. The silence starts to bother me so I go outside on the porch. I don't remember going inside last night. I just remember talking to him until I fell asleep.  

I sit on the rickety old swing and watch the sun rise in the sky. I've always wondered what one looks like. I'm always awake after the sun's way up in the sky. I've always wondered why Ponyboy likes them so much... 

The darkness of the sky begins to fade as the bright orange sun peaks over the top of the trees. A silver fog blankets the ground, revealing individual rays of sunlight through the mist. The sky looks like a light orange and pink with gold bringing on a new morning. The sun ascends higher over the trees, creating a warmth on my skin. Stars disappear as the moon settles away waiting for night to come. Birds sing to signal a new day is ahead. The mist rises and the golden light reflects onto different objects.  

I smile to myself as I realize just how beautiful things can be in this messed up world. But I continue to sit here and relax last night's tension and memories away. The pain is a reminder, but I brush it aside for now.  

I hear a commotion inside the house. I stretch my sore body and go inside. Darry's first up and making breakfast. I offer to take over so he can get ready for work and all. He somewhat seems to not trust me with it but he lets me anyway. It can't be that hard.  

I successfully finish cooking as everyone begins to wake up to the smell of food. I couldn't blame them. I'm starving too.  

As our busy and normal morning continues, we all continue talking about last night and all of our current injuries. Two-Bit laughs as he "compliments" my black eye. It hurts enough to be one. I'm just glad nothing was broken.  

"Looks like JT got herself a good looking shiner," he says.  

"I'll give you one if you don't cut it out," I joke. He laughs again for the one thousandth time this morning. But his laugh somehow picks all of us up. I'm not sure why though.  

"Don't worry. We'll get back at 'em one day," Steve says.  

"Yeah. And when we do, we'll stomp those socs for good!" Soda adds cheerfully.  

They eventually leave for work, leaving me to myself with Ponyboy wandering around. Today, I don't feel like I normally do. I feel a little more calm than usual. That's either a good thing or a bad thing.  

As soon as I get dressed for the day, Pony and I decide to hang around the house today. We sit out on the front porch together. I relax in the swing while he leans on the rails across from me. We bounce his little rubber ball back and forth and have our usual touchy talks.  

"How come you ain't like other girls?" he asks randomly.  

"What do you mean?" 

"You don't like dresses and stuff like that." I laugh.  

"Oh. I'm not the type," I answer.  

"Well I can tell." 

We pause the conversation, trying to think of something to say. My mind leads me to think about Dally. Why is he like the way he is? He doesn't have much of a soft side. I'd be shocked if he did. But he's always so emotionless. Why? 

"How come Dally's the way he is?" I ask. "I mean... He's a cool guy and all but why's he like that?" 

"Dally's just different. That's all," Ponyboy says. I shake my head.  

"There's more to it than that." 

"I guess if you're wanting to know, you should ask him." 

"No way!" I tell him. He laughs a little.