Chapter 7: There's a First Time for Everything

Dick's POV

I heard sobbing coming from the closed door of the bathroom. "Zatanna?" I called.

Go away!" I barely made out. "Just leave me alone!" she managed to say between sobs.

"No," I stubbornly replied. I heard her paused faintly, then sniff.

"What do you want?" she half snarled, half sighed. I jimmied the locked handle again.

"Let me in," I said quietly.

"No."

"I'm not gonna give up, you know that." I paused. "Please."

The sobs began easing off and soon stopped completely. "Why do you care?!" she yelled in a stuffy, and I heard her blow her nose.

"I need to talk to you," I said discreetly, knowing this was going to be the only chance I could make my move. "Alone."

I swore I heard my heart beat loud and fats and I could only hope Zatanna couldn't hear it, too.

"Ok..." The door unlocked. I gulden and slowly turned the handle and came in. The sight was horrifying.

Tissues overflowed from the garbage, they formed a thin layer on the counter, and there was an empty tissue box lying on the ground.

Zatanna's face was red and blotchy and all her make-up was running. Even when she was crying she was beautiful.

"..." I opened my mouth, but no words came out. My throat tightened as I felt my cheeks beginning to burn. "I'll be right back," I managed to squeak out before closing the door behind me.

She must have thought I was a complete idiot. I ran to the kitchen and grabbed a garbage bag.

"Dinner's ready!" Wally called. Everyone was sitting in the alcove, including Conner, digging into their hot dogs. There were 2 empty spots right next to each other both with 2 hot dogs waiting for them.

"I'm a little busy," I said passively. Everyone stared at me like I was crazy. I rolled my eyes-even thought they couldn't see-and jogged off to my room, retrieving a letter. In the letter, was a short message of me confessing my feelings to her. I opened it and stared at it for a little bit.

Dear Zatanna,
I'd don't want to ruin our friendship. I would never do anything to jeopardize what we have. My stomach growled. But I need to let you know that every since we met, I knew I needed to know you. And some could say it was love at first sight. So I just wanted to tell you that.

The rest of the page was empty. I folded up the letter and placed it in the envelope. On the envelope it was written, 'Read when I'm not around. -Dick'. I figured I would have to tell her my secret identity if I thought to have any chances.

I took a deep breath, slipped the paper in my back pocket and walked into the bathroom, garbage bag in hand.

Nothing had changed except for Zatanna; she had wiped her face clean and it was less splotchy. I smiled sweetly and she returned it.

"Hi," she said shyly, raising one hand and quickly descending it. I turned around to close the door. Suddenly, question popped into my head.

"Um, I hope you don't mind if I ask, why were you crying?"

"Some stupid reason..." I saw stress cloud her eyes. "Some stupid guy..." Somehow, I got the impression that guy was me.

"I'm sorry," I murmured, sitting on the edge of the tub. I soon stood back up, dumping the tissues inside the black garbage bag.

"Thanks," she said extremely quietly. After I had finished cleaning up, I realized it was now or never.

I reached nervously inside my pocket and handed the raven-haired girl the letter. Her eyes appeared surprised and she she went to open it, but I stopped her.

"Open it when I'm not around." And I walked out.

I felt like a complete idiot and a jerk, as if she now hated me for walking out on her. I immediately regretted my choice.

I went to my room and closed the door. I flopped down on the bed and sighed heavily.

I studied the architecture on the ceiling for what seemed like ages when someone barged in. I expected Zatanna, but instead received Wally.

"Dude, aren't you gonna come eat?" he asked. "'Cause if not, I'd be glad to eat your hot dogs."

I sighed and replied, "I'm not very hungry..." My voice trailed off as the speedster spoke up.

"I'll take that as a go ahead," he chirped, walking out of the room. That was going to take some getting used to.

"You forgot to close-" I stopped mid sentence realizing he was gone. I stood up and closed the door myself.

I suddenly felt a rush of over-whelming emotions. I felt stuffy, trapped, like a bird in a cage.

I opened my window and quickly stuck my head out and took a big breath of fresh air that reassured me of my freedom.

I heard the quiet turn of the door knob and a lock of raven hair appeared  and soon followed a beautiful teenager.

I sat down on my bed as she began to talk. "I read your letter." She sat beside me. Crap! Just friends, Dick! I thought.

I began smiling like a fool and it was the first time my smile was really sincere.

She returned the same smile and my head was slowly propelled forward by some random force. She was leaning in too, when I saw the door stood slightly ajar.

Our lips had barely brushed when Wally walked in.