Warm (Kageyama x Hinata)

Karasuno's setter, Kageyama Tobio, was always thought to be 'cold'.

Back in his old school, Kitagawa Daiichi, it was nearly impossible to perceive that the raven-haired boy had an ounce of warmth inside his heart. He was known to be cold-blooded and nothing else.

'Need' was the only word he knew. 

"I need you to spike faster!"

"Why can't you jump higher? The spiker needs to match the setter." 

"You need to do better!" 

Finally, his team grew sick of him. 

"We need you to stop."

He faltered. Wide, child-like eyes held a pinch of uncertainty, but the coach was stern. 

"You need to sit out." 

He sat alone at graduation. His teammates shunned him. They whispered vicious rumors about him. In the end, he thought being alone was better than being humiliated. 

But everything changed once he saw a mess of ginger hair entering the gym. Once again, his stilled blood, thick with fear and rejection, pumped throughout his body. He felt human emotions his senses had forgotten, like satisfaction and love. He used to crave those feelings every second of the day, until he forgot what 'want' was.   

Kageyama's lips pulled back in a grimace. He hated to think about his past. He was positive he changed. The captain said it, his old teammates said it. He just couldn't convince himself. He was stuck in the perpetual past when he was scarred beyond belief by the thud of the volleyball striking the ground-- on his side. He wanted, so desperately, to recover from it, to forget the past and push it behind him, but he couldn't.

He finally told Hinata about his troubles. He couldn't believe the words that tumbled through his lips. Did he really just admit his biggest fear? 

Hinata's fiery brown eyes closed shut for a second. He couldn't believe it either. But when they opened again, a thin layer of tears coated the shine inside them. His lips trembled, thin red hands shook, and he whispered, "Kageyama..." His voice cracked, raw emotion ripping his words apart. 

"Hina...ta..." Kageyama echoed with the same wavering tone, a deep, crimson blush rising from his neck up his cheeks. He was ashamed of himself. Insecurities crept up from the shadows like albatrosses, circling him overhead.

Waiting.

Waiting for what, exactly? Everything he wanted was already here. 

Like water, smooth, pale skin glided over his weathered, tan kind. He watched in awe as Hinata, small but strong, lit a flame inside his heart. His chambers beat faster, his lungs took in the smell of his friend, maybe more than a friend to him, and he fell into the new yet familiar motions.

One of Hinata's hands cupped Kageyama's jaw, and the other gripped his back. "I'm here," it seemed to say. 

Kageyama looked away for fear that Hinata would see the tears that were welling inside his eyes as well, but his friend tilted his head down in his direction.

Looking in each other's eyes, they saw the world. Kageyama couldn't explain it, but a feeling stirred in his stomach, like a cage of butterflies being released. 

"I'm cold. You're making a mistake," Kageyama started. Don't listen to me, he begged inside his head. Touch me. Give me your warmth. 

Hinata read the passionate eyes and understood. His thin fingers slid up Kageyama's jersey and down his chest until he felt the thrum of the hot, hammering heart. He blinked away the tears clinging onto his eyelashes. "You're not cold, you idiot," Hinata whispered. 

He pressed his cheek against Kageyama's chest, hearing the beats grow faster. 

"You're warm." 

========================================== 

[A/N] Okay, well I was supposed to write something cute and fluffy to celebrate the first episode of Haikyuu!! Season 2 being out and subbed, but apparently it turned out a bit sad. Since Wattpad's giving me a bit of trouble, I can't edit this, so just have my scrappy sexual-tension-filled one-shot. 

Kagehina fo' life.