Chapter 4 Family Dinner

We arrive at my parent’s house to drop Melanie off “Melanie if you would be so kind as to bring me Cup then I shall be on my way thank you.” “Ami it was just a song come on” “Melanie my dog please.” “Fine and you’re supposed to be the older sister.” We sit in silence for a couple of seconds before Collin speaks “are you really mad at us?” “No, but its fun messing with my sister” I punch him in the arm “and how dare you side with her.” He rubs his arm “I was trying to make a good first impression.” Melanie comes out a minute later “Ami mom wants you” “for what” I say “I don’t know she just told me to tell you to come here.” “Fine, where’s Cup?” “He won’t come from under my bed.” Ugh just what I need a nosy momma and disobedient child, “Collin I’ll be right back, sorry about all of this.” “Take your time I don’t have anywhere to be.”

I run in the house “yes ma’am can I help you with anything?” I tell my momma who is busy setting the table for lunch “yea yo sister told me you were out there so I figured you could have lunch with us after all its Saturday and you don’t have school today, have you ate yet?” “No ma’am but I have somebody in the car and…” “uh Ruhamah you can stay and eat and if you want I can pick you up later?” Please don’t let me turn around and see Collin in my parent’s house I will never hear the end of this. Yep he is in my momma kitchen and my traitor sister is behind him with a smirk on her face, I wonder how I will kill them both probably slow. “And you are?” my momma questions “name is Collin Nichol’s ma’am.” “Well baby you hungry because there is plenty to go around?” Please Lord, please let him say no. I’m trying to give him the eye but he is purposefully avoiding looking at me. “Yes ma’am if you don’t mind I am famished and your table spread looks delicious.” Wow he is really kissing up I bet my momma loves that, look at her trying to act modest.

“Nonsense of course I don’t mind just go wash up and you’re welcome to eat with us. Ruhamah show him where to wash his hands.” “At his house” I mumble. “What you say?” “Nothing, come on Collin.” “Why did you get out of the car I told you I was coming right back?” “Sorry but your sister said if I went in and showed your mom you had company she wouldn’t make you work or whatever she wanted you to do.” Why me “that’s fine but why did you say you were hungry, you could of just said no.” “But I am hungry” he gives me the puppy eyes. By the time we get to the table everyone is already sitting down including my daddy crap I forgot about him let the embarrassment continue. “Hey everybody this is Collin, Collin this is my daddy Joe Curtis, my brothers the one with the birthmark is Jacob and that’s Jonah and you’ve already met Melanie and my momma Bernell.” Collin just grins like an idiot and starts shaking my father’s hand “nice to meet you all and Mrs. Davis this food looks very delicious.”

“Thank you Collin you are very well mannered, unlike somebody I know” she says looking at me I swear my momma can play up anything to seem like a crisis I am very respectful dangit. “Hey” I whisper to Collin “ask Melanie to hand you the pickles” haha Melanie hates pickles and she freaks if she even has to touch one paybacks a b. “Excuse me Melanie can you pass me the pickles” everyone at the table stops and stares at Melanie because this is gonna be good “wh what” stammers Melanie, my daddy smirks at her. She jumps up and grabs a napkin to tie around her mouth and wraps her hands in towels. Glaring at me Melanie grabs a spatula and pushes the jar of pickles towards Collin “here and next time please refrain from asking me to hand you anything else better yet how about everybody stops eating pickles altogether I mean what’s so great about them anyway.” “Blah blah blah” I cut in “if a pickle touches you you will live.” “shutup Ami” she yells “I bet you told him to ask me anyway you evil troll.” “Please” I yell back “I’m a troll, if I remember correctly you hardly come out of your room or better yet your cave you beast.” “Oh yea if I’m a beast then don’t ask me to watch your stupid dog anymore.” “I won’t and don’t ask me to take you anywhere from now on you can walk, heck skip or crawl for all I care.” “Enough you two” my father says sternly and we both are quick to shut it because momma may make plenty of threats but daddy don’t play. “Yes sir” we both answer.