Chapter 9 Any Given Sunday

Who is that knocking on my door if it ain’t somebody with some breakfast today is their last day. “Collin, what are you doing here?” “Well I brought you an egg white sandwich and I’m driving us to church today remember?” “Crap man what time is it, ugh I overslept. Okay just wait right here give me like 10 minutes, mmm this is good… thank you.”

Okay let me jump in the shower, man if I’m late my momma gone give me the evil eyes and we’ll have to sit in the front. All the nosy ones gone be staring and it’s rude and disrespectful to act up in church. Let me call Melanie and ask her to save us a spot. “Hey sis me and Collin will be running a little late can you save us a seat, huh ugh just tell Daddy I’m bringing a friend, thanks love ya.”

Finally we are on our way “okay Collin let me look at you, here let me fix your tie, there. Now just remember to I guess have fun, okay lets rock-n-roll” “Ruhamah” “huh” “relax I have been to church before and I promise I won’t do anything to embarrass you.” “Sorry Collin I don’t mean to imply you’ll do something wrong I’m just nervous. Usually at my church when one of the younger adults bring someone to church with them it’s because their dating. So expect a lot of questions and if you should find yourself needing help to answer them you’re on your own.” “Thanks for the support” he answered drily “well you wanted to come so suck it up.”

I love walking into my church it reminds me of how churches used to look back in the 50s and 60s. You have the old lady at the piano who is nearsighted and looks to be about 100 years old but comes to life when it’s time to sing; for my church that’s Mrs. Grace. The walls are red, with stained glass windows, pulpit at the front, with the cross in the center. The preacher is always at least 10 minutes late, that’s where you get the term as quiet as a church mouse, because when it goes silent you know Pastor Tavers has walked in. My family usually sits in the middle, it’s mainly because my momma will pop you upside the head for not listening and the middle pews have the most people so we easily blend in.

As I assumed all heads turn to look at me and Collin, and when I look back this boy has a goofy grin on his face and is waving at all the members. I’ll have whatever he’s been taking. “About time you showed up big sis momma was just about to send daddy to come look for you” “are you serious I was just a little late” “yeah well Jacob and Jonah are the ones who kept pointing it out. Every few seconds talking about when is Ami getting here?” “This is why children shouldn’t speak.”

Melanie leans over me “hi Collin forgive Ruhamah for being rude, please have a seat” oh I forgot we were still standing up, at least people were talking around us so service hadn’t started yet. “Hi Melanie I’m sure Ruhamah was getting around to it probably slipped her mind, she seems to think I have never been to church and decided to give me an etiquette lesson outside.” “Yeah yeah, both of you can shut it. Oh…hi daddy, you remember Collin I invited him to church with us, I hope that was okay.” Knowing good and well it’s too late if it wasn’t he’s here now. “Hi momma… Jacob, Jonah you can stop asking about me I’m here now.”

“Son, good to see you again, of course you’re welcome to join us for church any time.” “Exactly as my husband said Collin, as a matter of fact were having Sunday dinner after service and I expect to see you there.” “Thank you sir, ma’am I would love to have dinner, I must admit I haven’t been getting my proper nutrition cooking for myself so I appreciate the invitation.”

As soon as we sit down I give Collin a face and whisper “proper nutrition, please Collin you haven’t been missing any meals. I promise you act like were starved.” He shoots back a snarky reply “maybe I am, if a certain woman I knew would feed me then I wouldn’t have to seek it elsewhere.” He finishes with a smug look on his face challenging me to a comeback. Nope not going there, I’m supposed to be letting him down easily tomorrow so for now I’ll just ignore him, I’m quite good at it.