Chapter 10 The quiet before the storm

It’s been a couple of days since Sunday dinner with my parents. I made up with Ann and Abebi, though I did make them pay for getting me drunk, Abebi more so than Ann. Let’s just say the next time Melanie has any type of volunteering she needs done she can always count on two extra people being there. I can’t wait to see Abebi getting run over by a bunch of hyper active, over intelligent 17 year olds.

I’ve been dodging questions from my daddy about Collin all week and when that doesn’t work he tries to put my momma on the phone. Knowing that I’m scared of that woman just isn’t right. Melanie of course being the little witch that she is continues to try and take credit for something that has nothing to do with her. Side note never let your significant other meet your family until the wedding; it’s just better that way for everyone.

On to Collin, hmmm we’re good that’s all I’ll say on the subject. Though I wish he would stop trying to get my attention at school. Not that I’m embarrassed but if I get one more side eye from the people at that uptight school I’m gonna kick somebody in their throat and that’s saying a lot considering I’d have to jump up pretty high to reach their throats. Oh well anything is possible.

Bringgggg, bringggg

Hello….

It’s been a very long trying couple of weeks are all I can say, but in the end it was all worth it. They say nothing is worth keeping if you don’t have to work for it or they should. I finally got Ruhamah to see more as more than a friend and her family loves me. I’d say all is right with the world. Her mom even called me to tell me she expects us at Church next Sunday, and this time to make sure we’re on time.

I can’t lie I was all but set to take a back seat if I would of thought Ruhamah was serious about this friend business. When I asked Ann and Abebi that day in the cafeteria to help me out I didn’t know what to expect. But they came through and we had a good time at the arcade. That was probably the only other time I had seen her really laugh and smile like that since our first study session/date. I just have this feeling that Ruhamah and I are going to make it.

The only thing I have to do is get her more comfortable with touching in public nothing lewd, but anytime I as Ruhamah so nicely put’s it “linger too long” she starts to fidget and look around. Yea we do get a couple of stares but I know that’s just jealousy. Besides I love finding any excuse to touch her brown skin. We only have a couple more months of school left and it’s off to the real world. So I have in between now and then to convince her how serious I am about us.

Just last week when my mom called for her weekly checkup she asked if I was seeing someone. I couldn’t give her a definite answer then but now I can. The only person I could care less if Ruhamah meets is my father. His calls to me and vice versa are about yearly, and for me that’s to appease my mother. I’m sure he only does it to remind himself he has a son or try to forget.

I wish I had the type of relationship Ruhamah has with her father but it’s kind of hard to do. When the person you used to look up to the most is always saying “you can do better”. Never in a sneering tone or anything but when those are the only words ever out of his mouth you learn to stop trying at some point.

It’s almost 7:00 and I have a test tomorrow in accounting, I’ll see if Ruhamah needs some help. I’m always finding any little thing to call her about. She tries to put our talking to a schedule so it won’t interfere with school but I’m always breaking it. Besides this time I actually have a reason to call, you know to see if she needs help studying; at least that’s what I tell myself. 

“Collin stop trying to tickle me I only allowed you to come over here to help me study, nothing else.” “Yes maam I was trying to help you relax, I promise Ruhamah sometimes you act like I’m out to get you” trust me sometimes it seems that way. “What” “nothing, so how did you get #4 again?”