Fighting A Demon (Part 2): Chapter 1: A New Identity

Fighting a Demon (Part 2)

Chapter 1: A New Identity

(4 years later)

The masked ANBU flitted through the forest silently. An ordinary person and even most ninja wouldn't be able to sense his presence. He hid his chakra with practiced skill like any ANBU could.

The mission scroll he carried in his pocket was not one to be taken lightly, especially when one had no team to rely on; but if anyone could successfully complete the mission, it was this experienced ANBU. Back in Konoha, there was lots to do for the ANBU, and the Third Hokage couldn't afford to send a whole team out, so he chose from his most elite.

This particular ANBU had been taught by the Fourth Hokage himself, and was the son of Konoha's legendary White Fang. So naturally great things were expected from him, but even then he had risen to the top of the ninja ranks at a surprisingly young age. His name was Hatake Kakashi, the Copy Ninja.

He was currently tracking a dangerous man who had been terrorizing a small village on the very outskirts of Fire Country. Normally a mission such as this would have been given to jounin, and in some cases, chunin. But this was no ordinary person. The leader of the village described him as having the eyes of a demon and possessing the ability to shape-shift into a large demonic wolf. He belonged to an exclusive band of criminals who had demons sealed within them. They were called the Jaakunashishi. They were much like the Jinchuriki, except the demon's within these criminals were less powerful than the bijuu; but that didn't mean that they couldn't be just as deadly.

Konoha had known about the Jaakunashishi for quite some time, and had succeeded in destroying a few, but unfortunately they tended to lurk in the shadows, making it nearly impossible for them to be tracked down until they showed their faces somewhere. Kakashi had tracked and killed a few before, which was partially the reason he was sent on this solo mission.

Kakashi came to an abrupt halt when he sensed the ever so faint traces of not one, but two separate chakras. He opened his left eye, activating his Sharingan behind his white ANBU wolf mask; without a team, he was not taking any chances. He proceeded forward until he spotted his target.

The man had long brown hair pulled back into a low ponytail. He was tall and meaty, but his defining feature was his crimson eyes. A child stood in front of him, she had a wild mane of long black hair that hung in a tangled mess down to her lower back. She wore dark clothes that hung from her body -for they were much too large- in a dirty and tattered mess. She was filthy; dirt covered her pale skin, staining it a few shades darker. She was much too skinny and her bones were too prominent. She had blue eyes that were dark and lifeless. They had seen far too much darkness for a girl her age.

Kakashi took all this in within a fraction of a second. He steadied his breathing and silently unsheathed the katana strapped to his back. He drew a kunai with his other hand and launched it at the man. Without even looking, the mans arm shot up and caught the knife between his fingers. The girl's eyes met Kakashi's and she took in his ghostlike ANBU mask. A wave of fear coursed through her body; the intense emotion stirred the demon within her. For a split second, Kakashi saw her eyes flicker from a deep blue to bright crimson. Her muscles twitched and she turned and bolted deeper into the forest.

"Stay and fight, you stupid bitch!" The man spat.

When the girl didn't stop, he launched the kunai -the one Kakashi had thrown- at the girl. It burrowed into the back of her left shoulder, but she kept retreating and soon disappeared within the thick tree-line. Kakashi would have to hunt her down later.

The man let loose an angry growl and turned his attention towards Kakashi. His body morphed into a wolf with ebony fur highlighted with crimson on its muzzle, paws, and four tails. It's demonic eyes met Kakashi's. Kakashi tightened his grip on the katana, preparing for the battle that was to take place.