01 | arriving

❝ welcome tothe glade

welcome to
the glade.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Darkness was all in sight. The sounds of a machine starting up boomed through the room. He felt as if he was swimming in an endless ocean and came to shore with minutes to spare. It was like he was dying slowly and the dark was taking over his body. But he felt alive. Barely alive. Barely breathing.

The metal box the boy sat in was not the most comfortable way to wake up. The shirt he wore and his short hair stuck to his skin from the sweat on his body.

The only thing in his mind was that his name was Thomas.

Thomas. Thomas. Thomas.

Nothing else had come to his brain. Thomas wondered why he could not remember anything. Why couldn't he think about his life? Who was his family? He did not even know what he looked like.

Looking up, all Thomas could see was nothing. The metal machine he sat inside was not stopping. All it was doing was just rising up. Would it stop? Struggling, Thomas stood up and cried for help. His voice was scratchy and worn out. It was like he hadn't spoken in weeks. Even months. Continually, he screamed.

Nobody could hear him.

A green light flashed up ahead. It must be the end of the path. But the moving machine was definitely not stopping. As the box kept rising and the light drew closer, Thomas screamed more, hoping someone would save him. But no. Just rising. Continuously rising and never stopping.

Anxiety took over the confused boy. More beads of sweat formed on his forehead. "Someone help me!" Thomas screamed over and over again. Both of his hands made their way over to the walls, looking for an escape to freedom. An escape to his life he lived. But, nothing. Metal bars were all he could feel. No hole to jump out of. No platform to walk on and escape to victory.

With a halt, Thomas was forced to the ground from stopping. The green light disappeared and the darkness returned once again like a blanket covering his sight. An alarm sounded and the light appeared in the colour of blood. Red. The light went out again and Thomas was brought into the darkness again.

All of his breaths were heavy and fast. What was happening? Thomas brought his arms around himself and curled up in the corner, leaning against several wooden boxes.

More mechanical sounds whizzed around him, like something powering up. Was he going to just fly through the roof to his death? Was this the end of his life? Thomas just wanted to be saved.

As Thomas looked up again, he saw light peeking through a slit in the roof of the barren room. Many loud clanging sounds echoed as the slit became bigger. The light blinded him. He forced his arms up, shielding the light from his eyes.

When the loud noises stopped, the boy could hear voices above him.

"What a shank this one is."

"He seems like a shuck-face."

"Hope you enjoyed the one way trip."

"I could use some help in the kitchen."

"Looks like a slopper to me."

Majority of the words were foreign to Thomas. Shank, shuck-face, slopper. Blinking repeatedly, he brought his arms down to his side, taking a glance at the world above him.

What he saw was odd. A group of around fifty boys stood, looking down at him. Each boy looked a different age to the one next to them. All of different shapes, sizes, heights and colours. Many teenage boys just eyeing him down in the metal box.

A piece of the anxiety in Thomas washed away once he realised who these people were. They were just like him. Normal boys. Just normal boys with previous lives to whatever world Thomas just entered.

One of the boys lowered himself into the metal box and grabbed Thomas by the shirt and yanked him up to his level so he was practically standing. His feet left the ground as he was risen up with the one who entered the box earlier. When he reached the top, it went completely silent. Everyone was staring at him. Some were snickering to themselves while others just stared, as if it was completely normal.

The one who was lowered into the box to grab Thomas let go of his shirt and slapped his arm lightly.

"Nice to meet ya shank." He said.

Thomas stared at him, puzzled and dazed from the event currently taking place before his eyes. Then the boy talking to him said four words that would never erase from his memory.

"Welcome to the Glade."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

first chapter ahh

i'm sorry if this was really boring and written poorly. it's 1am and i came home from a party and have the worst headache ever so there's probably no good content but anyway it should get better.

- tamsyn