08 | she's the last one

❝ everything's goingto change

everything's going
to change...

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

After a long two minutes, the alarm signalising that the Box was going up came to a stop. An ache was pounding in Thomas' head from the loud sound. He felt as if it would never go away. The Gladers had calmed down and majority had gathered near the Box, waiting for the new arrival. Newt and Thomas were sitting silently in the Homestead on the ground, dirt seeping through the uneven floor.

"Why is everyone freaking out about the Box? Isn't this normal?" Thomas questioned the actions of the Gladers, looking at Newt. The blonde had his head hung low, playing with this thumbs.

"Yes. Just once every month, not every day." Newt said softly, glancing at the brunette boy from the corner of his eye. Thomas nodded and looked over at all of the boys chatting amongst themselves on the concrete ground near the Box.

"Escaping this place, have you guys ever tried climbing up the top?" The question left Thomas' lips. He saw Newt go stiff for a split second. Then he sniffed and responded.

"Tried it. Ivy doesn't go to the top."

Thomas turned his head and looked at the Maze walls. Ivy was growing in swirls along the stone, all the way to the top. Why was Newt lying?

"Well, what about—."

"Tried it." Newt huffed back at Thomas.

"You didn't even know what I was going to say, Newt." Thomas responded with confusion in his voice.

"We've tried everything." Newt said firmly, looking straight into Thomas' doe eyes. Escaping the Maze was a sensitive topic for Newt. Tears welled up in his eyes at the thought of what happened that day. He would never forget it.

"Oh.." Thomas whispered, eyeing Newt up and down. Their knees were touching from the sudden movement of their bodies. Newt's figure was shaking slightly, his breath trembling. He'd never let anyone get this close to him before. Everything always felt wrong when someone invaded his personal bubble. This felt okay though.

"So when does the delivery get here?" So many questions.

"Half an hour usually." Newt said bluntly. Shorter answers were always easier for the fragile boy. Social situations were better that way.

"Okay." Thomas mumbled to himself. The sound of chatter in the distance floated through the air. A comfortable silence took over the pair.

Crickets chirping, flies buzzing and the scraping of dirt under Thomas' shoes were the only sounds in the air. Talking had died down in the distance, the Gladers growing tired of waiting for the arrival.