Chapter 17

I learned a lot about Mar yesterday. I learned things I'm not sure I'm comfortable with knowing. It makes me feel... worried about her. I also have to do something else because of that knowledge. I now know Mar wasn't the one Cortez had bullied. It was her sister. Cortez should be a year above me, but was held back because he transferred late in the school year a few years ago. And he said he bullied someone like Mar at his other school with some others. And above all "sweater girl" is what he said they called her. All the pieces fit. But how do I... tell him?

*Rrrring*

*Rrring*

That must be the phone. I walked out of my room and downstairs.

Noel yelled at me on the stairs from her seat.

"Phones for you!"

"It's always for me."

I ran over to the phone and picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Bro... Bro it's me."

"Cortez?"

"Yea... hey... I got myself into some trouble. Can you come pick me up?"

"What happened?!"

"I can't explain it here-I'm at the school. "

"But I can't drive-!"

*click*

What did he get himself into now?

I looked out the window in the kitchen. It's snowing...

I looked at Noel.

"Can you drive me to-"

*Honk*

*Honk*

"Guy1 and Guy2 are way ahead of you. They'll take you there. Put on a coat first."

"Alright. Thank you."

These guys work to fast... way to fast. How did they know though? That's a good question... or maybe not.

I grabbed my coat from the coat tack next to the door. The maid ran up to me and handed me two hand warmers.

"It's cold outside sir. So here are some things to help keep you warm."

She ran off back to her kitchen work.

I stuffed the two hand warmers in my pockets and walked out the door. A black van is parked right outside. Guy1 with the passenger's side door open, waving at me. A black van... this isn't suspicious at all.

I walked up to the van and stepped inside.

Guy1 shut the door behind me and Guy2 floored the gas.

I flew back into the back seat.

"What's going on?"

Guy2 turned the wheel as we zoomed into the next lane.

"It seems Joseph that your friend had gotten into some trouble with a local gang. Don't worry though. We've got it covered!"

He seems seriouuuuus-!

Guy2 turned down another lane and we sped up.

"It seems the two we disposed of the other day were part of this gang. May also happened to be their ring leader."

What?!

"She had a gang?"

Guy1 looked at me and sighed.

"Well, yes. Not like we didn't know..."

"Well what do they want Cortez for?"

Guy1 looked at me apologetically.