Chapter Seventeen: Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues.

It wasn't long after Aaron had left my side that Cody and Chelsea returned from there meal, both smiling childishly. I could tell they were both pleased by the events, just by the long lingering smiles that had consumed their facial expressions. Again, no one bothered striking up a conversation. Instead, we allowed the narration of the movie to be the only sound. My eyes fell on the door in hopes that Aaron would return, but to no such luck.

The silence wasn't as bad as I might have thought. I enjoyed it: really. It wasn't eerie or uncomfortable. Just something that we learned to deal with. Every now and then a sniffle broke through the barrier but that was about it. I wasn't going to be the one to interrupt it, actually, I was probably the one enjoying it the most.

It wasn't long before the quietness of the room was interrupted by the squealing of tires and the screaming of brakes being rode too hard. The noise startled everyone who looked up to see what the impending danger may be. Even when I drove, I wasn't like that. Daddy wasn't, nor Aaron, or mommy. None of use ever even had the urge to drive that way.

I quirked a brow, casting my gaze to my father who rose from his seat slowly and released my mother from his loving grasp. He looked dangerous, cool, and ready to take on a war. I'd never seen him with that demeanor before. Something about the way he slunk across the floor taking short steps made my stomach turn. I didn't know much about my father's past but I knew enough to know that he could handle anything that came his way.

When the short, round man wobbled into the house I almost had a hard time controlling my laughter. He teetered like a small child from one foot to the other and held his hands out at his sides; a way to ensure that he wouldn't fall over.

When his gaze met my fathers, a look settled into them unlike I'd ever seen. Using one hand, he perched himself against the wall. His blue eyes filled with dark intent settled on my father and his lips became a thin line like he was considering what to say. They stared each other down for a moment, almost sizing each other up for a battle soon to come. Daddy's facial expression, on the other hand, was one of utter confusion.

Something inside me screamed that something wasn't right but I dismissed the feeling. Now, all gazes settled on the two older men who stood in the center of the arch way just watching each other.  Suddenly, the movie was no longer interesting. Suddenly, I wanted to know what was about to happen.

Charlie took a wobbly step forward and daddy took a step back. I watched them with a quiet, but desperate intensity. The tension in the room had suddenly become thicker, suffocating the surveyors. My gaze traveled to my mothers who had suddenly become silent, although all to aware of the events that were unfolding. Still, Cody, Chelsea, and I were left to watch and wonder just what was going on.

"You..." Charlie's chest rumbled as he attempted to take another step forward, letting go of the wall that he held tightly to for support. The step on his own proved to be much to difficult because he tumbled forward and landed in a small heap on the ground. A steady stream of curses dripped from his lips as he attempted to push himself up.

I understood for the first time why my mother begged me not to go out and get drunk as I watched the little man raise to his feet with unsteady movements. Daddy stood off to the right watching the pathetic show. He looked so calm and sure.

This time the little man was on his feet although he wobbled back and forth. Pointing one rough finger in my father's direction, the disoriented older gentleman let out a howl that curled my hair and made my mother cringe sourly. My father, on the other hand, only folded his arms over his chest half amused by the show that the smaller of the two had been putting on.

"Are you done yet?" Daddy asked in a monotone voice. He showed neither interest or concern for the spectacle that was unfolding in the middle of his living room.