Chapter Eight: Five Hundred Miles.

"Wake up, guys. It's time to go. Come on, get up and dressed." My mother stood in the doorway of mine and Aaron's room. 

"Mehhhh... We're coming." I groaned and rolled over to wake Aaron. It was to no avail. I had an evil idea. That's what I was known best for after all. I let myself out of the bed and made my way down the hall past Chelsea who was moving slowly toward my room. I could only assume she was going to wake Mary. From down stairs, the smell of pancakes drifted into my nose, filling my senses. Mom had been up for awhile and made breakfast.

After brushing my teeth, I filled my cup back up with water and made my way down the hall back to Aaron's room and splashed the cold water on him. He sprung forward and sat upright, staring at me in shock.

"Whoa! What the fuck?!" He demanded harshly.

"Get up. We got an hour to get dressed, ready and down to the church." I reminded, my grogginess wearing off.

He groaned and rubbed his eyes. I smirked and kissed his forehead and turned, letting myself out of the room. I made my way down the hall and let myself in my own room Mary had left the sheets a mess.

Oh well, not my concern. Get dressed, you're going to Memphis baby! My thoughts screamed with excitement. 

I pulled a red tank top and a pair of white bell bottoms along with a red and white hoodie to match. They would do for the drive. I would also wear my red and white converse. No need for make up either since it was all packed away in my luggage that had been put in the car. Comfort was my goal today and nothing would get in my way. 

I made my way down the hall and into the bathroom, locking the door behind me and started the shower. The warm water fell gentle against my body and felt wonderful. 

I was the last one down the stairs and there was half an hour left before we had to leave. "Eat quickly." My mother spoke softly.

"Has daddy left?"

"While you were in the shower, he left to pick up Judd. He's bringing the truck home and watching the house and taking Getalow to his house for the next week."

"Okay." I nodded and nibbled on my pancakes. When I was finished, mom washed my plate quickly and we headed out to her Caprice. We were going to put Mary and Chelsea on the bus at the church and ride behind them in moms car. The day looked like it was going to be over cast but hopefully things would clear up when we crossed the border. I could only imagine. Aaron got into the front seat with my mom and I was stuck in the back with the girls. It wasn't that bad through, aside from having to sit beside Mary who was making little comments. She was really starting to get on my nerves and Aaron could tell. He snickered into his palm every now and then.

Mom turned the radio up and put a CD on, Aaron, of course had to hear Elvis and honestly that was fine with me. I was in the mood to listen to whatever was put on, as long as I didn't have to listen to Mary run her mouth. Nothing makes me more miserable then Mary in the morning. My eyes danced over the ground as we rolled forward slowly. In the distance, the church came into view. Kids were boarding the bus and parents chatted with Father Jacob.  

The sun was dancing over the horizon and making its appearance known, casting long shadows into the street. I shivered against the morning air and closed my eyes. My mother stopped the car and looked at the girls in the back seat from the rear view mirror, turning the music down.

"Did you girls want to ride with us or with the bus?"

"You." Chelsea was quick to respond.

"I wanna ride with you." Mary smirked.