20

"CLAUDETTE!" My Uncle shakes me by the shoulders.  I wake from the nightmare gasping, in a thin layer of sweat. "Are you ok? You kept screaming? What's wrong?"
"Nothing." I say, half of the nightmare is slipping away from me. 
"Are you sure." He gives me some water and I swig from the bottle.
"Yes." I reply shaking off the horrid feeling. Just a dream. Just a dream.

Outside, dawn is breaking. Dad is still in the same place in the lab, sitting on a stool with his feet up on the bench. He is rapidly rolling the rubber ball from side to side across the bench, his fingers flickering rapidly over the top of the ball. Uncle John has sat on a stool at a nearby bench and he has his head down on his folded arms, asleep. His phone rings. Lifting his head tiredly, he groans and answers the phone.
" Yeah.  Speaking." He brow furrows. "Er, what?"
His eyes widens.  "What happened? Is she okay?" He listens. "Oh my God. Right, yes, I'm coming."  Uncle John says and closes the phone. N
"What is it?"
"Paramedics. Mrs Hudson – she's been shot. "
"What? How?"
"Well, probably one of the killers you managed to attract ... Jesus. Jesus. She's dying, Sherlock. Let's go. "
He turns towards the door flustered.
"You go. I'm busy." Uncle John turns towards Dad. His face rigid.
"Busy?"
"Thinking. I need to think. "
"You need to ...? Doesn't she meananything to you? You once half killed a man because he laid a finger on her." Uncle John spits startled.
"She's my landlady." Shrugs Dad.
"She's dying ..." Uncle John flails himself, appalled and saddened.
"You machine." Uncle John shakes his head."Sod this. Sod this." He heads towards the door. "You stay here if you want, on your own."
"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me. "
"No. Friends protect people." And Uncle John storms out.

I'm about to follow him out when Dad says
"Alone protects you from being a ticking bomb. When you fall you'll destroy everyone. Alone protects you and everyone else."
"Um Ok. I'll text you when we find out." Dad nods.
"Claudette."
"Yes?"
"I love you."

Oh god. Dad said he loved me.