4

The silver spoon scraped over an empty bowl; porridge had served as breakfast. It'd had fresh berries in it, large and juicy ones. Even though I'd hardly slept I was wide awake. A strong cup of some sweet tea had helped with that.

When I woke, a cup of orange fruit juice and a sugared cookie had sat on my bedside table and the basin was filled with warm water. A little later Laura had come in with breakfast and a fresh gown.

It was yet another shade of cornflower blue.

Well, why not?

I let her chitter chatter about this and that, but my mind was far away. It was in a huge crowd of fighting people, trying to tell them from one another. Trying to find out the cause, who had what part. But it didn't know the people, didn't know why they where even there, why it felt so calm. And then when it thought it begun to understand, someone threw a bucket of ice over it's head. Or actually, a pair of wings in a pool.

I kept glancing in the mirror and feeling my back to make sure they weren't there.

The wings had been a butterfly's, with a black edge all around. A cobweb pattern decorated the seam of the lower wing. Emerald green filled the space, dark at the wings' tips and brilliantly shining at the joint. They where magnificent, the bottom almost stroking the ground and the highest tip well beyond my ears. I had just stood there, looking at them with wonder. Time went by and I started to believe they were real. But when I'd found the courage to look over my shoulder, I only saw the fir trees behind me. Disappointment had nestled in my stomach. But that was foolish; of course I didn't have wings.

"The Rose and the Ring expect you in a few minutes, and they don't like latecomers. Better follow me, and I'll explain.

"So, this's the Realm, our base, our home. Most of us are born here and grow up walking these fields, but not you. You were born between men. Every few thousand years a human bears an elfling, usually a girl, but a boy is also possible. It grows up and learns the ways of men, oblivious to what it really is. They have a companion, an animal that they grow up with and keeps an eye on them. Then, somewhere in the three years before the Agecoming, another companion is 'found', the Silera's, Moondancer in your case. He introduced you to... well, let's call it magic for now. You also have a few of us to watch over you. Some just visit once in a while, a few are permanent. Flynn is one, and Marigold. The woman that gave you the bridle is my mother. She's in the Ring. I might be in yours."

I was in awe. But...

"And I'm supposed to believe this? D'you have any proof? Or just a letter signed by my father?" She smiled at that.

"Ask the Rose," was all she said.

Who was this rose? And the Ring?

I was going to find out.

Laura led us to a grand tree that suggested a flowering rose. It was thrice the size of mine, and with many floors. The thorns where balconies, with draperies hanging down in all shades of red and pink, darkest at the top and light at the bottom. A beautifully carved double door opened in silence and let us pass. We went down a spiral staircase, deep beneath the roots, that led to yet another door. It was set with all different kinds of stone, matt and shiny, rough and smooth, round and edgy. The colours ranged from dull and simple to bright and splendorous. Together they formed a tree, or a mother holding a child, depending on how you saw it.

"From here you go alone," Laura whispered.

I raised my eyebrows at her, but went on.

It was a dead end.

The door behind was firmly locked, the wall ahead solid rock.

How could I have trusted her? This was probably some kind of cell, where I would be held and ransomed.

I leaned against the rock.

But fell right through it.

"Aah, dammit," I gasped, getting up and rubbing my bruised elbow.

That hurt.

It looked like the wall had gone; I could see the door. But when I walked toward it and turned, rock faced me. My hand disappeared through it.

"Pretty cool."

Someone chuckled.

It was the black-haired lady, waiting for me on the other side of the rock. The others were there too, each different from the rest. Yet they were a whole.

"You have come. I remember what it was like, suddenly being in this strange place, unbelievable tales being told. I wasn't so quick in realising that the stone wasn't real; I stood there for a full half hour before trying to push against it. But I will tell you more about my experience later.

I am Rosalinda, and these are my councillors, my friends, and the Ring. We will assist you on your journey. Each of us will teach you our arts, little and large. You will be taught the skill of bow and knife, and many more weapons."

I'd just stood there with a queer look on my face.

"Uhm...– "

"No questions. Look, listen and learn. I give you a week to explore and find your way, with one question a day. One question for each of us. Go now, child."

I went.

Laura had gone, so I started to make my way toward my tree. It wasn't difficult to find. But there was nothing to do, and I soon found myself beside the pool.

No wings.

But thoughts, oh so many thoughts. They flooded me.

Where was Flynn? What was this place? Where my parents worried sick, was this their idea, where they safe? What had happened to Sunny Side Up? And Snoozle?

Suddenly I was filled with rage. Why had I let this happen to myself, I'd heard so many stories, thought I was prepared. But it had been Flynn, lovely messy tangled Flynn, that'd led me into this trap.

The rage flowed away in salty tears of frustration.

I felt one drip down my nose and into the pool, making ripples that went wider and wider. So much impact, by one little drop.

My tears were drowned when I dove into the pool, and the unwelcome thoughts with them. I swam and swam, wanting to reach the bottom. But instead my fingers broke the surface, and I came up gasping for air.

"What the..."

I dove again, with the same result.

"Blimey."

After that I just floated, looking up at the deep blue sky. Wisps of cloud drifted by, taking shapes and changing again, a dance that went on forever. The heat of the day came and went, until an evening breeze made me shiver and clamber back onto the mossy bank. I pulled the gown over my head and started to walk towards the lights in the distance. The walk broke into a trot, the trot to an 'I believe I can fly' kind of run. It felt good to get the adrenaline rushing.

Jasmin joined me.

Together we walked between the trees. People bustled around, going around their work, often not even looking up. I noticed their skin had all variations of colour, from porcelain to ebony. Much more interesting than the pink of where I came from.

Round lanterns twinkled between the branches, casting a warm light. Children rushed around our legs, chasing each other into trees, hopping from branch to branch.

I felt at home.

Safe.

I decided to give this place a chance. If a week proved it to be false, I would leave. Steal away in the night.

The paths got emptier and the children's laughter died away. My bed awaited me, soft and warm. I sunk into it, yawned, and fell asleep swiftly, tired by the day's thoughts.

Once more I woke.

Moonlight shone bright in my face, until a shadow fell over me.