9

Summer hadn't left this place yet.

The leaves were still green, not yet brown and crinkled. At home the cold winds were rising, but here everything was lush and flowering.

It was the first time I noticed the seasons differed from place to place, sitting high above the rushing water, waiting for someone to come. Or someones, for all I knew.

The bridge was made of entwined tree roots reaching from one bank to another. A river lay below in a little canyon. On either side forest stopped abruptly. Any unknowing wanderer could suddenly fall to his or her death.

I almost did.

Early this morning I'd asked a passer-by the way to Ficus Bridge. He'd told me to follow the path north-east. It was a longer walk than I had anticipated.

Now I sat in a tree on the South bank, just to be sure that it wasn't some trap. I had learnt high places to be good vantage points early on, playing hide and seek; nobody could ever find me.

After about five or ten minutes a small group of people came wandering along, Melany in the lead. She walked proudly, head high, shoulders straight. The fact she was so stereotypical was actually quite hysterical, and I had too keep myself from giggling.

"She could be here any minute now, remember what to say?" Her voice wasn't as sweet as it had been, but it still dripped with honey.

"Of course. We'll invite her to our group. Well, not really of course. Just play nice, and scare her a little," a girl with wavy black hair said.

"And make sure she knows who's boss," added a tall boy with chestnut hair and a large nose.

How sad.

She only dared to bully me with her gang around her, and when I was on my own.

Why wasn't Melany brave enough to face me alone?

Why, she was a coward. A mean frightened lonely coward.

The usual.

I let myself slide down the tree and crept through the bushes, until past the bend. Then I put a smile on my face and walked down the winding path.

"There you are," Melany sang and hung a smile on her face, but malice burned in her eyes. "We've been waiting."

"Waiting?" My voice sounded confused. Perfect.

"Didn't you read my note? Why else would you be here?"

"What note?"

"Come on, the one on your bed. Inviting you, today, here. Remember?"

I feigned surprise. "Oh really? I'm so sorry, never saw it. Just this morning someone told me what a wonderful place this is. I didn't have much to do so I decided to walk over. And yes, it is breathtaking. Good day to you."
Before I could walk off, sharp nails dug into my wrist.

"Not so quickly." Her voice was ice, as was her hand.

The girl with black hair explained. "We are here to... to invite you to our exclusive group. A little ritual needs to be performed, that's all. Then you'll be one of us," she said, bouncing with excitement.

"And what does that ritual include?"

The answer was vague. "Oh, you'll find out."

This didn't sound good. It even sounded bad.

"No thanks, that won't be needed." I turned to leave, but added: "You know, forget-me-nots are beautiful little flowers, but there are so many of them, even whole fields, so they aren't really special, and not at all significant."

I should not have said that.

Anger burned in her eyes, and Melany's voice sliced the air like a poisoned blade when she said, "I think our little friend is yearning for a swim. Shall we help her jump?"

There was no way out. They cut off all the ways out, making it impossible to run. And they where strong. Their muscle was invisible to the eye, but there was no way to flee their iron grip. Mucking out stables – making my parents very happy – and handling horses had made me strong, definitely for a highborn girl, but even only one of them could have dumped me in the river without the slightest of problems. I struggled and bit and scratched, the middle of Ficus bridge getting ever closer.

Melany watched it all with mild amusement. "You should have taken your pack, wolfie. Foxes can kill a cub. Now awaken the owl in you. Can you fly?"

She pushed.

My reflexes saved me. I grabbed a loose root and clung on with my life. That made her frown.

"And how where you planning to climb back up, with us standing here? Seriously Lyss, you are a bit of a disappointment. You–"

"Don't you ever call me that again. Ever."

"Ooh, is it his special name for you? Something sweet and private? So sorry, Lyss. I rather like that name. It makes you less of a goddess. Now, you can't die, but you can hurt. Real bad. The river below," she looked over the edge, "is shallow, stony, and cold. Good luck!" and suddenly the root I held was aflame. I searched for other possibilities, but there were none.

The root burned away in my hands. I looked at them.

Unburnt.

I fell.

Never had I wished more for a pair of wings. Or something, something to brake my fall.

What if I didn't pass out, but just lay there in agony? This time there was no Jasmin to heal me, bring me home.

Please, someone, help me. Why was I so good at falling?