Chapter 7

I awoke to find him beside me again. I looked around curiously.

"I made your parents go downstairs and grab something to eat, they're so worried they're forgetting to eat." He explained.

I caressed his cheek, "What about you? Did you get anything to eat."

"I have." He replied.

I studied his beautiful features, the way his long eyelashes casted shadows across his cheekbones, and the pink of his lips. He was gorgeous, how I deserved him I don't know. I shook my head, trying to shake the thought of him being mine.

"What's wrong? Does something hurt," he asked. Checking the monitors.

I laughed, "Don't act as if you know what these do," I said pointing to the bedside heart monitor.

"You're right, I have no idea what I'm doing." He said. His face sobered, becoming more serious. "I like you Mia. More than you know, or want to admit."

"Stop-," I began.

"No shh let me finish," he interjected, "I don't care what happened in the past or what's going on now. All I know is that I will be here for you, as a friend and when you're ready, something more."

There was that word, something so small but held so much opportunity.

"It's not fair to you, I have more baggage than you can imagine. These past months have been great but I don't want to ruin what we have." I said, staring directly into his eyes. He held me gaze for a while.

"But it could be so much more," He found my hand and clutched it tightly, "much, much more."

"I want that." I whispered, finally confessing what I had been denying for so long.

"Me too." He leant forward and paused, as if he was asking permission to kiss me. I leaned forward to meet him.

Just when our lips were moving in synchronization, the heart monitor beeped wildly. I blushed a beet red, immensely embarrassed.

"Hmmm, I like this thing Mia." He said devilishly.