Chapter 10

Kaya and James. James and Kaya. What the hell.

"After all that I've told you about him. After everything I've been through with him, you go ahead and date him? Are you crazy?!" I nearly had an aneurysm.

"He's changed Mia I swear. It's like he's a different person. He's never raised his hand towards me and he's always a gentleman." She reasoned.

"And he calls every night and pays attention to everything you do." I muttered, I knew his game, "Break it off with him Kaya he's dangerous. Trust me please. Please do this if not for you do it for me." I begged through the phone.

Silence on the other end.

"Kaya?" I asked tentatively.

"I trust you Mia, I really and truly do but I'm sorry. I love him." She said almost apologetically.

"You don't love him Kaya, you're in love with the idea of love." I said gently.

"And I suppose you know what love is? That you and Jake have found love and are going to live happily ever after? Hallelujah she's finally seen the light! But when I find something more than friendship with James, it's suddenly world war three and I'm the crazy one! I can't speak with you anymore Mia, I'm sorry but you've changed and I'm not sure if it's for the better." Kaya hung up.

---------------------------------------------

"I'm sorry babe." He said, his voice instantly making me feel better. After the fight with Kaya. The fact that I fought with Kaya had a way of winding into all our conversations, even days later. Once again, he was listening intently as if this was the first time I was telling him.

"It's okay, she can be reasonable it's just she can only see red right now, she can see through him, she always did." I said, unsure if I was reassuring him or myself, "I said I was in love with you..."

"And?" He said..

"She told me I didn't know what love was. That what we have-"

"Enough, I'm coming there. I'll be there in 15." And then he hung up.

I wasn't sure if he was mad or upset at all. He spoke too briefly for me to tell. Hell he could be happy for all I knew. He was so cryptic sometimes.

I got edgy waiting for him so I decided to wait for him out on the porch. The closer he was, the sooner I'd be in his arms. For some reason I felt paranoid, unsure if it was because of my conversation with Kaya or Jake's sudden decision to meet with me. I heard a rustle in the bush.

"Jake if this is some kind of joke, it's not funny at all." I yelled out, waiting for Jake to pop out. "You know how scared I get" I yelled again.

"Now Mia why would I ever want to scare you?" I would've been immensely relieved to know I wasn't alone, except that it wasn't Jake that the voice belonged to.

"James." I breathed.