Chapter 8

"So you never told me you could sing," I said to him in the hallway.

------------------

It was a week after I got released from the hospital, my first day back to school since I was told to take it easy by the doctors.

The morning when I saw him in the hallway, he bear hugged me in the hallway, his arms tightened around my waist pulling me off the ground.

"Ahhhh!" I yelled ecstatically, not recalling the last time someone left me breathless.

"I've missed you," he said into my ear.

"Me too," I whispered back, looking into his eyes.

He gave me his shy smile.

--------------

"I don't," he replied quickly, clearly embarrassed.

"Don't be shy about it, your voice is lovely," I reassured him grasping his hand.

"Wanna kick this popsicle stand?" He whispered conspiratorially changing the subject.

"What?" I laughed.

"Let's skip school."

"I've never done that before," I said slightly embarrassed.

"Perfect, let's go."

"Jake.."

"Come one Mia, you'll finally able to say you skipped with a cute boy from school to Kaya."

"Jake!" I blushed, absolutely embarrased now. He knew Kaya and I were good friends but to joke about that? He was teasing me. "You're horrible you know that? You think I talk about you with Kaya?"

"I know you do."

"Oh really? And how's that?" I asked.

"Because you do this thing with you hands when you lie."

"Dammit," I thought. He got me.

"Fine I do, but that doesn't mean I'd tell you what I say to her."

"I knew it," he said smugly.

"Let's go," I said, slinging my bag across my back.

"You're willing to go with me?"

"I'm ready aren't I?" I said pretending to act impatient. "Are we going or not Jake?"

"Oh we're going. First rule of skipping," he said leaning in towards me, "Never get caught."

And with that he took my hand and we ran through the hallway of DeVere Highschool.