Chapter 9

"Aren't you going to drink that?" He said pointing to the green tea cupped in my hands.

"Nope. Not yet anyways." I replied.

"And why is that Mia?" He asked.

"Why are you asking Jake?" I said playfully.

"I'd like to get to know you better." He said, sincerety oozing from his words.

I was taken aback by his honesty. "My grandma once made me hot milk, and it was very hot milk. So I burned my tongue... Not severely or anything, just enough so I never drank hot drinks again. It's embarrassing."

"How old were you?" He asked me.

"I don't know, five or six."

A smile played at his lips.

"Jake are you laughing at me!" I teased him.

"Quite frankly yes!" He said bursting into uncontrollable laughter. His laugh was contagious and soon enough I found myself laughing too. His laugh was contagious. Each guffaw spurred my own laughter.

When the laughter had died down and we both sobered up, I said, "I hope you know I was laughing at you and not with you."

"Me too baby, me too." Darn he got me.

------------------------------------------

"And then he winked at me! Can you believe the audacity on that one!" I was talking on the phone to Kaya.

"Shut up Mia you love it!" She burst into laughter, "who would've thought, Mia finding love in Toronto. Despite all that happened with James-"

"Stop Kaya, I'm finally happy and I don't need any more reminders of him here. Jake has gotten me to forget all of that baggage and it's been really great. I feel so great you know? I've skipped school and had so much fun, and Jake is just so amazing I wish you had someone like he is for me..."

"I'm really happy for you, it's just..." She hesitated. Kaya never hesitates.

"What? What is it?" I asked, suddenly fearful of her answer.

"Well.... I'm kinda dating James right now Mia." She practically mouthed into the phone.

"What the fuck?!?! Are you insane?" I yelled, I was furious.