4

"Thank you for having us." I told the Thaddeus, who smiled. "Let Caleb take you back. He can walk." Mr. Thaddeus stated and I shook my head, looking at him. "No thank you sir. We can go ourselves." But on the end, Caleb drove my car. "So. Ember, got any siblings?" Caleb asked as I fiddled with the radio, we talked about this a while ago, maybe he wants her to tell him herself. She hummed. "No. Only child." Caleb continued interviewing her, me, giving him directions. We reached my house, tired and sleepy. I swear, when he opened the door for me, I wanted to leap on him and carry me to my bed, but I didn't. I embarrassed myself a lot in the past few days, ain't going to happen now. We stood there, waiting for someone to talk, until Ember cleared her throat. "Well. That was awkward. I'm gonna go now. I'll see you tomorrow." She stated, walking to the direction of her house. I waved a goodbye and so did Caleb. I turned to him. "Your parents are really nice." I told him, that made him smile. "Yeah, they're a headache sometimes." He stated, scratching the back of his neck, I find that very adorable. "Parents are a headache, they're made like that." I commented and the living room light opened, it caught my attention. "I have to go." I stated, turning my head to Caleb. "Thank you, again." He said and pulled me in for a hug, he's cold. "Are you okay?" I asked, noticing that he's wearing only a shirt. "Yeah. I'm fine. I'll see you tomorrow." I smiled, letting go. "Tomorrow."

*

I walked in school with a new feeling in my stomach. Probably because I have to see Caleb. With a smile, I opened the school door. I stopped walking when I saw students in groups, whispering and murmuring. Ember hugged me, shocked, I pulled away. "What's happening?" I asked her, she took a deep breath. "Mr. Maklin, he died last night." The air seemed to decrease by the second. Mr. Maklin was the best newspaper guy around, sometimes he would stay for coffee or tell us how him and Mrs. Maklin met. I can't imagine how Mrs. Maklin feel right now. "No." I stated before gulping. "No." I placed a hand on a wall, looking at the tiled floor. It took me a few seconds to look at Ember. "How?" I asked.