10

Ember never stopped asking me why I knew the new guy, which is Max. I told her that he was Caleb's old friend. She asked me why I seem scared, I answered because I didn't know Caleb told him about me, which was a lie. She bought it though. I haven't seen Caleb all day, he wasn't with me when I woke up. Meredith told me he fed so I went ahead. Now, I'm scared. What happened to him? I've seen Max walking around with his friends like they're kings, girls swoon over him. I wouldn't lie, he's handsome. He winked at me and smirked at me, when did a vampire became like a badboy in cliché stories?

*
When I got home, Caleb was in the kitchen. "Why didn't you go to school?" Was the first thing I asked. "I was already late, why bother." The tone in his voice made me stand in front of the center counter, where he was chopping carrots. "Is everything okay?" I asked him, he sighed. "I knew Max was going to our school, he wants to scare me, guess he accomplished." I scoffed in disbelief. "And you think I wasn't scared?" I asked, I saw Meredith and Mark at the door. Synthia said that he did go out to feed but she doesn't know what happened next. "He bumped into me! Ember was there, she won't stop asking questions. I had to lie everytime! If I didn't take any blood I wouldn't be smart enough to have an excuse." I scolded, he stopped cutting but he didn't look at me. "She noticed my changes. She almost had broken bones if I didn't pull her back." I added, I didn't know why I was mad. "You knew he would be there, then why did you leave me to face him alone?" I asked, he walked around, facing me. Slowly, he placed a hand on my lower back, pulling me towards him. He hugged me. No heart beat but I felt love. "I'm sorry. Last night, I was ready but today, I couldn't." I hugged back. "You'll be okay. I'm here." I whispered.

We stayed like that for a couple of seconds before he pulled away. Mark and Meredith already left. "I have to make you dinner, go change and do homework." I chuckled softly, before leaving him there. I went upstairs, to the room assigned to me and locked it. I started removing my clothes, walking towards my bed. I was left in my undies as I look in my drawer, I got some long sleeves and short shorts. I then heard a knock on my window, I turned my head and fell on my butt, looking at Max, he's floating? He laughed, opening my window. "What are you doing here?" I asked him as he landed softly on the ground. "I want to make friends." I rolled my eyes. "Who else knows I'm here?" I asked him again. "I was the only one who saw you on that window." He told me, sitting on the ground, my eyes widened. "Did you see me change?" I asked and he shrugged, my jaw dropped and got my shoe to throw it at him. "You pervert." I stated, throwing it in his direction, he dodged it. Why am I talking to him? "Wait. CALEB!" I yelled, in one blink, Caleb was inside and my window was opened. "What?" I gulped, my eyes staring at him and at the window. "I-I saw a crow. Sorry. I hate flying things." I told him, rubbing my face. Why can't I tell him I was talking to Max? He laughed softly, bending beside me. "Want me to track it down?" I shook my head. "No. No. I'm fine. I'm sorry I bothered you." I stated before smiling at me. "It's fine. Food's almost done." I nodded as he closed the door.

"You didn't tell him." Max floated outside my window. "I'm a mess right now." Silence. "Why aren't you attacking me right now? Caleb is downstairs and no one else is around." He went inside again, sitting where he sat. "Because I don't really want war. I want you to be safe." My eyebrows furrowed. "From him or from you?" I asked him, making him smirk. "From both of us. Who knows when we will break and drink you out, especially since you're a girl." I bit my lip, staring at him, he was already staring at me. "Do you know how much I want your blood mixed with that deer blood?" He stated, I gulped. "You can if you could." I stated but he shook his head. "Can't. Not the right time anyway." He answer. "RAIN! DINNER!" We both jumped and we chuckled. "I'll see you around." He said and flew outside. I got up, going outside and went downstairs. I smelled roasted carrots and some pasta. Yum.

*

As I was eating, he was looking at me. "What?" I asked him, he laughed. "You have sauce on your lip." He stated and before anything turned cliché, I wiped my lips. "Thanks." I laughed out. "Your room smells different." I gulped down the pasta, acting casual. "What do you mean?" I asked him. "I don't know. It smells different." I shrugged, eating a roasted carrot. "Thanks. For doing this. I know we have to train after you feed later." I told him, this made him smile. "No problem." He answered. How long could I keep lying to the people that cares for me? First my family-I have to call them soon-my best friend and now Caleb, I don't know what to call our relationship right now. Max got me all mixed up inside, did he use his powers on me or am I just being naive?

I finished and I went upstairs to call my parents. "Honey?" I smiled, hearing my mom's voice. "Hi mom." She let out a happy sigh. "How are you doing, hun?" She asked and I laid down my bed. "Fine. I guess." Was my only answer. "Honey, I'm a mother, I know when my child is sad, what happened?" I bit my lip, keeping myself from crying. "Mom-" My voice cracked. "I just-" A tear left my eyes and I chuckled. "I like a guy and I don't know what to do." LIE. "Oh honey. That's normal, is he a jerk?" My heart broke. That's the point, he's not. I am. "No. He's sweet and a real gentleman." I told her, wiping the tear away. "Then go for it. If one of you made a mistake. It's okay. They gave us this life to make mistakes and learn from them." I smiled, that was reassuring. "Thank you mom."