Fury Has A Mission

1.

The sound of sirens screaming down the streets of New York snaps me out of my distraction. Many people inside of the coffee house sprint out in order to find out what could possibly be happening this time. Peter and I remain in our seats, watching the mass of people struggle to move out the same door.

"You'd think they'd wait until it was on TV, wouldn't you?"

"Hmm." I mumble, and bring the white mug up to my lips, and blow on the liquid gently.

"You seem distracted, is everything alright?" Peter wonders, staring at me curiously

"Just got a lot on my mind."

"Tell me about it."

"I guess we're both a little screwed up there, huh?" I smile, and fall back into silence, watching the people run past the window "How's Mary Jane holding up?" I ask gently.

He sighs, and leans back into his seat "As expected."

"Can I ask you a question?" He nods "How often?"

"How often what?"

"How often do you visit Gwen's grave?"

"Besides the days I spend with you?" He looks up at the ceiling like he's trying to work it out "Every day." He finally sighs.

"Peter-"

"I'm getting better though!" He jumps in. I don't object, he needs to let it out "My Aunt May's taking me on a trip to England for a few weeks. She thinks the distraction will do me good."

"I agree with her."

"You can come if you want? Saves you beating yourself up over..." He voice trails into a mumble, and we fall back into silence "I'm sorry."

"It wasn't your fault, Peter-"

"And it wasn't your fault he fell into the Abyss either!" He rushes in a whisper "Thor even said there was no hope of saving him"

"Peter I don't want to talk about this right now." I press my fingers against my forehead, and close my eyes. Peter holds onto my hands, and pulls them down and back onto the table.

"Maybe you should come to England with me?"

"Then who will protect New York from all these monstrous tasks of protecting humanity?" I smirk, and, to my relief, he cracks a big smile.

"That's true I suppose"

"We interrupt your morning music with a breaking news story!" The radio murmurs, catching the attention of the remaining customers. "Thousands of residents have swarmed the streets of New York to find that a masked mad man covered in metal randomly attacking buildings across the State, what began this morning as just a normal day, has now become yet another frantic race to stop the man before-"

"I told you people should just wait for it to come on the news!" Peter laughs, and pulls his bag from under the table "It's so much easier watching it in safety than running straight towards such a mad person."

"Says the guy running straight after a mad person." I point out, a smirk across my lips.

"I'm sorry, but duty calls."

"Go on." I wave him off "Have a good time in England."

"Yeah, it should be a good distraction-" Screams sound from down the street, and people start running in any direction in order to escape the so called 'mad man'. Peter pulls me up into a hug, and kisses my forehead. "I'll speak to you soon."