The Final Warning

8.

I sit staring at the empty wall for what seems like eternity. Soon, the helicarrier will land outside SHIELD headquarters on the outskirts of New York, and we will go our separate ways. It feels, strange, in a way. Knowing that I accepted this mission with no intention of befriending anyone, and head off by myself, but instead, I have found myself with a team, and more friends than I ever predicted I would have.

The metal door slides open, and Romanoff walks in, apparently unintentionally with the surprise on her face as our eyes make contact. We stare at each other, until I eventually turn away, and remain staring at the wall.

"I've ah-" Romanoff clears her throat "I've cleared your file from SHIELD's systems" She takes a step forward, and into the light properly. She's been cleaned up pretty well, only a few grazes here and there on her face, the medics have done a pretty good job "There's only one Denali file left, and that's right here" She holds it up, but I keep my gaze locked on the same spot.

"And you're telling me this because...?"

"I want you to have it" She cautiously takes a step closer. My fingers itch with eagerness to blast her into the next room "Burn it, if you want-"

"No. I want to know why. Why are you giving it to me when you can burn it yourself, or better still share all of the information I want to keep private with SHIELD, every  government agency in the world who will be after my brother and I"

"I don't want to expose you. I've already told you, your file is for my own self interest"

"If you're not going to explain yourself I think we're done here"

"You said the other day that you wanted answers. And I'll give them to you. Just not yet"

"Why?" I demand immediately

"You're not in the right state of mind. Not yet" She looks down at her boots "None of us are" She stares at me for a long moment, before turning her back towards me "You're going to have to learn to trust me one day" She speaks softly, her hand resting on the door handle "We are part of the Avengers now, we need to trust each other" and turns to face me  "And, for the record, you were the first person in our team that I did trust"

For the first time since she entered the room, I look at her directly in the eyes. Her eyes don't show any sign of weakness, or anger. Her posture is steady, not tensed up or too relaxed. She's cautiously telling the truth, hoping my reaction was just as calm as her confession.

I nod once, and allow the smallest smile to creep upon my lips. She stands a little taller, and walks out. My smile disappears instantly, and I quickly stand up from the uncomfortable seat, discharging myself by walking out of the medical room, and walking in the opposite direction of Romanoff.

I round many corners, avoiding eye contact with any Agent that passes me by. Some move out of my way immediately, and heart rates increase exceedingly more than the average rate. Fear and admiration. Fear of me is understandable. Sometimes I even fear myself. Not just my powers, but me as a person. While I was fighting Loki, I felt like I wanted to hurt him. I wanted him to feel how I felt when I thought him dead.

Loki. Soon, he would return to Asgard and be kept who knows where. Undoubtedly Thor will return alongside him, and ensure all of his punishments are in check, and the protection of his people are at its peak. The enemies of different planets will be far worse than anything any of us will have ever seen before.

Agents are back at work in the control center. News reports on every small screen in sight. Most are simply calling their City's heroes crazy,  others are claiming to know the true identities of the super humans.