QUATORZE

I walked back into my father's apartment, heels clicking against the wooden floor, and a big smile spread across my cheeks.

"And who's sprinkled some happiness on you out in that hallway?"

I giggled "you'll see"

"Playing that game are we?" father teased.

"Seriously, you'll see"

Then we talked. In fact, it felt like we never stopped for a breath. There was just so many things to catch up on, tell each other, and gossip.

My father is so genuine, he's like everyone else, just normal and not posh not rich not nothing. He's just a really nice person, who ended up marrying my mother – which apparently he has never been happy about. And I just wish that when I get older, I'm normal, and in a little apartment just like this one, that would do me.

"So, how's your mother been since I left?" father asked.

"Actually okay. She seems to have just brushed it off and got on with other things" I sighed "like worrying about me"

"Exactly. This is what I find annoying with her – she can't just leave you to do things, you're 17 and you should be independent. But she has to know ever little thing..." he rolled his eyes.

"I know. I just want to be like everyone else, I just want to live in a smaller house, I just want to go out with my friends, I just want to be able to bring my boyfriend home and let him stay the night, I just want to be anything but what I am now"

"I just wish you'd live with me instead" my father stared at the floor.

I felt like crying. He understands me, he listens, he cares about me and wants me to live the life I want to. I want to come here and stay with him for a few nights each week, but will that ever happen? No. I wish that I could just-

"What was that?" father asked.

"What was what?"

"A knock, on the door I think"

I instantly jumped up, and ran across to the wooden door. I opened it, and there he was, standing there.

"Matty!" I threw my arms around him, and he did the same to me "I'm so glad you're out of hospital, I was so worried about you"

"And what's going on here? Matty? Hospital? Someone needs to bring me up to speed" my father said, standing behind us with a confused expression plastered on his face.

I brought Matty in, and we sat down on one of the now cold leather sofas, while my father sat on the one opposite.

"Right, father, meet Matty, my boyfriend" I smiled.

Matty gave a wave, and my father surprisingly smiled back at him.

"So you two are like the proper 'thing'? a couple?"

"Of course we are" Matty said, draping his arm around my shoulders "we love each other" he cutely smiled at me.

"Well, Alex, I'm proud of you. Sure, it's something small, you haven't won a Nobel Prize or anything" he laughed "it's just a boyfriend, but I'm proud that even though your mother kept telling you so many things and not let you even leave the house, you did what you wanted to do, and what made you happy. I know that being all squashed up in that house wasn't helping at all; you needed to get out there and get a boyfriend. And I couldn't care less what that boy looks like/has problems with that's sat next to you, because as long as you're happy, then that's fine"