Significance - Chapter Thirteen

After I brushed my teeth vigorously to get rid of anything Chad and took a shower, my bed was calling my name. I had no idea what Caleb had planned. He promised he'd come back, work it out somehow for sleeping tonight. I believed in him but no matter his powers of persuasion, there was no way my dad was letting him up here tonight.

So I texted him once I was out of the shower and I was so giddy to be texting him. I wrote-

Hey. Drama over. Ready when you are. - Maggie.

He wrote-

Good, I'm dying here ;)

I sat and started to read instead, because otherwise, I would just pace and if I sat on my bed I'd fall asleep in no time.

After careful consideration of my wardrobe, I curled up in my cami and cherry sleep pants in the club chair in the corner of my room. I didn't want him to think I was trying to be sexy, but I didn't want to look like a frump either. But I needed to be wearing something that he could easily reach my skin. I gnawed my bottom lip in anticipation of tonight. I mean it didn't mean anything really. I'd slept with him before, once. It's just sleep, I knew that, but for some reason, tonight it felt like so much more. Like this was a step for us towards something.

So I read my favorite book, Pride and Prejudice. I'd worn down the pages so much that the binding barely held anymore. I know it's the cliché favorite girl's book but I can't help it. It was a perfect story. Elizabeth is the typical girl with confidence yet insecurities and family drama and Mr. Darcy was a fine specimen of what a man should be like.

After I'd read for about twenty minutes I started to be curious. I didn't want to text him again and seem clingy or controlling but I was worried that he'd already tried to come and Dad had turned him away.

Then I heard the 'tink' of something hitting my window. My heart leapt in giddiness. There's a guy tossing rocks at my window! It was a very classic movie moment for me. I eased it open and looked down to see Caleb smiling up at me.

It had to be the second floor, he thought to me.

I gasped at his words in my mind and laughed happily but quietly and shrugged. He began to climb up the drainpipe and then hooked his leg over the porch roof. He pulled himself up and walked over easily to the window.

"Can I come in?" he asked.

"Yes." I moved back so he had room. "So this was the big plan? To sneak in?" I jested.

"Yep. I couldn't think of anything else. Does your door lock?"

I went to it and turned the little bolt to lock it. I came back to him as he shucked his backpack.

"I brought snacks," he chimed and pulled out two packs of honey buns.

"Ah! Yay!" I took mine and unwrapped it enough to take a bite. "You totally get points for remembering."

"That's what I was going for," he laughed. He took a bite of his too and devoured it in two more bites. "Hey, pretty good."

"How have you not had a honey bun before?"

He shrugged. "Not sure. My favorite snacks are macadamia nut cookies. My mom always makes them for me and mails them to my apartment once a week."

"Aw, that's nice. I like cookies, too, but honey buns are just the right amount of sweet," I said and smiled, but that turned into a yawn.

"Sleepy again?" he asked and pulled me to sit on the bed beside him.

"Yeah. I can't believe it but I am."