Significance - Chapter Twenty Four

"Caleb?" I whispered in awe.

"You don't belong here," Caleb\Marcus roared behind me. "How did you get in here?"

Caleb reached us quickly and swallowed me in an embrace of warm arms. I sighed, but not in relief because I got none. His touch didn't soothe and calm me of the withdrawals because it wasn't real.

But he was really there, in my dream, right then.

"Caleb," I cried. "How did you get here?"

He pulled back to cup my face and kissed me forcefully. His mouth opened mine, his lips were filled with all the longing we'd felt in the past two days without each other. It didn't last long and he whispered his next words against my lips.

"He can't keep you from me. No one can. I told you I'll always find you."

"Answer me," Marcus growled again. "How did you get in here without an echoling?"

Caleb startled like he just noticed we weren't alone and pulled me behind him.

"Because you underestimated us, like always."

"Whatever. I'll just go wake her up, right now, and I won't do the echo dream anymore. You'll never see her again so you better enjoy it while you can."

"At least she can sleep in peace and not have you crawling through her dreams anymore," Caleb growled back.

"You better get to it," Marcus said and disappeared.

Caleb immediately turned and pulled me back to him, speaking into my hair.

"Where are you, Maggie? Tell me what it looks like."

"Like a jail cell or a basement storage room maybe. It's all metal walls and concrete floors. It stinks."

"What does it smell like?"

"Musty mold. And it's cold. How did you get in here?"

"No idea. I just was thinking about you, trying to get a read or fix on you. I was lying on my bed, must've fallen asleep, then landed on the dune. Who have you seen?"

"Marcus, his uncle and his sister, Marla."

"Did he hurt you? Did any one of them hurt you?"

"Not yet," I squeaked.

He sighed and squeezed me.

"I'll find you. I will."

"Is my dad freaking out?"

"Absolutely. My parents have actually been at your house a couple times with him already. They've been working together with the police. He called your mom, brother and your boss, too. My whole family has been going nuts." He ran a hand through his hair harshly. "Maggie," he sighed and put his head against mine. "I need you to be here. I miss you."

"I know. Me, too," I cried. "I'm so sorry."

"This is not your fault."

"Your's either. I just want to come home. Caleb, I-"

"I know, baby, I know," he said gruffly.

He kissed me again, but it was so desperate, so painful because I knew he was about to be ripped from me and I'd be back in my hole with the pain of our separation gripping me violently. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he lifted my feet from the sand as he squeezed me to him. His mouth was gentle and slow like he knew there was no point in trying to rush. It didn't matter. I just wanted to keep him there as long as possible.