Chapter Twenty-Three

*Your Pov*
"This is gonna be a great surprise," I say. Bob, Wade, and I are going to the hospital to surprise Mark. They've already seen Mark today, but they think it'll be fun to surprise him again. We walk over to his room. I freeze once I'm in the doorframe. A doctor is kissing Mark. And he's staring right at me. Then his eyes shut and his monitor starts beeping slower and slower. His heart rate dropping.

"Oh fuck." Bob says under his breath. He runs to go get someone else to help. Wade runs up and pushes her out of the way.

"What the fuck did you do to him?" He yells.

"If I can't have him, no one can." She runs out of the room. She just kissed Mark. She's trying to kill Mark. Mark is dying. His heart isn't beating. Doctors are giving him CPR. Using the defibrillator. Yelling doctor mumbo jumbo I don't undertsand. Things are happening in slow motion. Wade is yelling , holding Mark's hand. Doctors are running in and out of the room. They push Wade of of the room. He's yelling at them. I can't hear what he's saying. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around what's going on. I'm standing in the doorway, watching. Wade is escorted out of the room. Bob tries to calm him down.

A doctor touches me, trying to move me away from the door. Just like that, I came to my senses, and everything went full speed again. "Mark!" I yell. Tears start to stream down my face.

"Mam we need you to move out of the way. You can't go in there!" He tries to push my away. I push past him and run into the room. "Mark please don't do this! You can't do this! Wake up!"

"Someone get her out of here!" A doctor yells. A strong, male doctor grabs my arms and starts to pull me out of the room. I'm screaming and crying. Kicking and wiggling. I need to be there for Mark. I can't leave him alone. Bob comes up and grabs me by my waist tightly and takes me from the doctor.

Out in the hallway, Wade is sitting against a wall crying. "No! Let me back in there!" I fall limp to the floor.

Bob crouches down next to me. "(Y/n). Mark, he uh, he wouldn't want you to see him like this. It's better if you, uh, we all stay out here." His eyes are glossy. I put my face in my hands and continue to sob. "I just want him to be okay. Instead we're losing him." My voice is muffled in my hands.

"I'm sure Mark is going to be fine. He just needs time. We all need time." Tears cascade down his face.

"He doesn't have time! His heart stopped! He's leaving us!" I cry harder into my hands. They catch the tears running down my face.

Bob is silent. He doesn't know how to respond. I wouldn't either. We are all watching our friend die. Wade hasn't said anything. He's staring down into his lap. He isn't making any sounds. Tears are still overflowing in his eyes. Bob gives my shoulder a quick squeeze. He sits next to me.

"I know how it must feel. I mean, we're going through the same problem right now. I love Mark, he's one of my best friends. This is hard for all of us right now."

"I just don't get it. How can you say all of this with ease? You're not freaking out like Wade and I. How can you be holding up so well?"

"I've got to be strong. If something were to happen, someone has to hold up the group. Once everyone else is okay, I can let my pain out."

"Doesn't it suck always being the strong one?"

"As long as my friends are okay, it doesn't matter to me." He gives me a small, half-hearted smile. This isn't like most cases when people are strong for others. Our friend, my boyfriend, is dying.

I take a deep breath. "Bob. It's okay. You don't have to be strong. This is serious. You can let it all out." I pull Bob into a hug. I look over to Wade. He seems puzzled as to what just happened. I hold my arm out to him. He walks over to us and joins the hug. I hear Bob start to sob. I try to hold it back. To be strong like him. It doesn't work.

Then I did something I never thought I'd do. I prayed for Mark to be okay.