Friendless

I thought I would be alone all my life.

Everyday I spend my time thinking of how lonely my life would be when I get old. Ever since I was a kid, I never had friends. No one dared talking to me since I don’t even answer their questions. Maybe it’s my fault too. But I’m just too lousy or boring to socialize with them so I’d rather not. But everything changed when this one person came into my life. He was so sure that he wanted to be friends with me. I hesitated at first, but he was so confident that we’ll get along well and persistent in making me happy everyday. And that was Taeyang….the sun of my life.

“Hi!”

I raised my head removing my eyes from the book I was reading.

A guy stood in front of me with his bag hanging on his shoulder. He looked neat and cool. 

I stared at him trying to see his face clearly because of the brightness of the sun. I raised my hand to my forehead to block the sunlight but his face turned dark. It was no use.

Finally, he stooped down to my level and smiled at me. I thought that was weird. Is he new here in school? No one does that to me. Even just by greeting me would be a miracle. I stared at him blankly still gripping the sides of the book that stands on my lap.

“I’m Taeyang.” He extended his arm to me.

I still didn’t move. I’m not used to this kind of thing. Maybe this is a prank. I sighed and brought my eyes back to my book.

I heard him cough a little. Maybe I was harsh, but that’s how things go in my life. I don’t make friends and no one makes friends with me. That’s how I live.

I sensed someone beside me. I tilted my head to the side and saw him sitting beside me. He opened his bag and brought out a book and opened it, scanning the pages. I stared at him getting a bit interested at what he’s gonna do next. But my interest died down as I heard the bell ring.

I closed my book and slinged my bag to my side and headed for my English Class. I don’t know why but I looked back and found him gone.

Maybe I was just imagining. I guess that’s what friendless people do.

But that’s kinda creepy. “Taeyang.” I muttered and chuckled. Even making up names is included in the friendless people rule book.

As I entered the room, I was used to bumping with my other classmates as if they don’t see me. The boys were throwing balls of paper on each side of the room. It was a daily routine. And I get hit 4-5 times. It doesn’t hurt anyway.

“Hey, ghost! Out of the way!” I hear them yell at me. That’s what they call me. But I don’t care. I entered this school to study and graduate not to socialize with these people.

Finally, I reached my seat. I first brought out a tissue and wiped the seat making sure no one’s pranking me….. again. The boys poured oil on my seat the last time I sat on it. I suffered from embarrassment and stickiness because of that.

Good! No stain at all.

Then I carefully took my seat. Our teacher came just in time and the others ran to their seats and fixed themselves.

“Good morning class!” Mrs. Kim greeted.

“Good morning Mrs. Kim.” Everyone answered in chorus except for me.

I tapped the tip of my pen on my desk as I waited for the class to officially start. Suddenly someone knocked at the door. My eyes shifted to the door and my imaginary guy appeared. I blinked my eyes in surprise. He’s real?

“Yes?” Mrs. Kim raised her head at him.

“Uh…I’m a transferee. Is this the English class?” he asked as he glanced at the card he was holding.

“Oh. I see. Yes. You’re in the right place and you’re just in time. Name?” she asked.

“Taeyang.” He bowed.