A Friend's Help

I was surprised to see Taeyang totally wet in my doorstep. He raised his head to me with reddish eyes. He then advanced on me and wrapped his arms around me. He was sobbing.

“T-Taeyang? What happened?” I asked worriedly as I felt myself getting wet.

“Bom….Chaerin….”he mumbled between sobs.

I don’t wanna hear the next thing he’ll say

“—she left me.” He whispered in a melancholic tone as he buried his face on my neck.

Nothing hurts me more than seeing my bestfriend like this. I could feel the pain he was feeling as he hugged me even tighter. I was speechless, I felt like crying for him too. We stood there hugging for a while.

After I felt like he was a bit fine, I brought him to my room and removed his jacket and let him sleep inside my room.

I didn’t ask any further questions, I wanted him to rest so I left him inside the room and decided to sleep in the couch. AS I laid my pillow and blanket on the couch, I reached for my phone and dialed Chaerin’s number.

It was ringing…still ringing…then stopped. She just rejected my call. Maybe she knew I was gonna interrogate her. Of course, I have the right to butt in, in this situation after all that Chaerin and I agreed upon. And I’m guessing, she forgot our deal. I stared at the door of my room. What really happened? Is it really over? Has it something to do with their two-week absence?

I can’t really think of any possible answers to any of my question. Maybe I need to rest too. I’ll deal with this tomorrow.

The next day, I heard noises in my kitchen. I rose up and stretched. I rubbed my eyes and grabbed my pillow and blanket. Before I could open the door to my room, I saw in the corner of my eye that Taeyang was doing something in the kitchen.

I opened the door quietly and threw the things I was holding to the bed. I slowly walked up to him. He was carelessly frying eggs and even got himself burned as he slightly touched the pan.

“Good morning.” I forcefully greeted him. I know there’s nothing good in his morning.

He looked up at me and smiled. How could he smile like that? As if he was not undergoing a break-up.

“Good morning Bom, I-I ..”he obviously didn’t know what to say.

I held his arm, “ Let me handle this. Go, sit.” I gave him an assuring smile, the ones he used to give me every time I don’t feel good.

He nodded and went to sit. I placed the finished eggs on a plate and turned off the fire. I placed it in the table. I brought out two glasses and two plates . I placed it neatly on the table.

“Let’s eat.” I offered the eggs to him and the kimchi fried rice he cooked while I was still sleeping.

We ate quietly. I glance at him every second.

Finally, he caught me staring at him.

“Is there something wrong?” He asked as he finished his breakfast.

“In my case, nothing…”I sighed, “How about you?”

He paused and looked at me warily.

I stared back at him expecting an answer.

He propped his elbows on the table and rested his head on his closed fists.

“Look, I am not a stranger Taeyang, I am your bestfriend. You should have known this for a long time that your problem is my problem.” I reached for his hand.

He sighed and smiled as I tightened my grip on his hand.

“I’m sorry for just barging in last night.”

“what? I was thankful for that! I haven’t seen you for like two weeks.” I chuckled as I let go of his hand.

He laughed lightly and shook his head.

“You do know that you have to tell me what happened right?” I raised my brows.

He heaved out a sigh, “ Chaerin broke up with me two weeks ago.”

“What? Didn’t you just go out together at that time?” I asked in confusion.

“The next day after our date, she texted me that she’s breaking up with me. After that, I went to her house and found out that she left for Jeju, I followed her there. I searched for her for three days since she didn’t answer my calls. I found her at a restaurant with her parents and a guy.” He paused and stared blankly at his empty plate.

“Did you two talk?”

He nodded and sighed again.

“What happened?” I asked in a whispering tone trying hard not to annoy him.

“She told me that she’s getting married to the guy. Her parents arranged it for her and she had no choice. Her parents even scolded me for disrupting their wedding meeting.”

“what? But she loves you. She could’ve fought for you, right?” I asked as I was slowly getting enraged.

“She told me that she doesn’t love me anymore. And that there’s no point in fighting for me. She told me that I have you. I really didn’t get what she meant by that.” He chuckled and shook his head.

I blinked my eyes as I heard what he said. She said that? I thought we had a deal. How could she?

I cleared my throat, “ maybe she meant that you have me as a bestfriend. That’s true. But..but..I’m…just your bestfriend.” I staggered as I lowered my head.

“Yeah..I guess so.” He said nonchalantly which even made me weaker.

I shrugged off the thought of my feelings being visible and turned back to him.

“What happened next? What happened the next week?”

“I stalked her the whole week and tried to get her alone. I told her that we could runaway. But she keeps on insisting that she doesn’t love me anymore. She sounded serious. I was so close in not believing her. Not until I saw her with the guy he’s going to marry. She seemed happy. I still can’t believe that for all those years we spent together, it would end up just like this.” He sighed as he tried not to cry in front of me.

That’s how boys are, but I’ve already seen him cry a lot of times. Still, he tries his best not to show it to me.

“Don’t worry, I’ll help you. I’ll talk to her.” I grabbed his hand.

“Thank you. But it’s no use.” He looked at me in dismay.

“But there’s no harm in trying Taeyang. I’ll do my best. I can’t stand seeing you like this. It hurts me too.” I insisted.

He just smiled and looked at me. I wish you were mine…. that is the only thing I could think of. I would never hurt you. I promise. But I know it would never happen…..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++